Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa suction fitting

1. Back To Top    #1

San Jose, CA

Spa suction fitting

Hi All,

I'm installing a spa which will be connected to the pool equipment. The pump is an Intelliflow VF, I have a Pentair heater and a Hayward DE filter which will be bypassed in spa mode. I'm expecting to run the Intelliflow at 100 gpm. My question is on the suction fitting. I purchased 2 2 1/2" fittings ( ... B00C7UFAEC) which say they are rated at 251 gpm (seems hard to believe). My question is do I really need two of these fittings either for safety or flow? My concern that two fitting will require elbows and a T which will reduce the flow.

14x28 Hydra Pools vinyl pool. EasyTouch, my own web interface (Screenlogic died), Intelliflow VF, 3 Pentair GloBrites, Pentair Master Temp heater, Hayward DE filter. 89" fiberglass spillover spa

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Spa suction fitting

Two drains are typically desired so that there is reduced entrapment hazard ... if one drain gets blocked, water will still be sucked from the other drain and the obstruction can more easily be removed.

A few Tees and 90s are not going to add much head loss and reduced flow. The size of the pipe/fittings has a much greater impact.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!