Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

As I mentioned in my prior post I am new to owning a pool. I now realize I don't know what kind of hose to buy for the vacuum. There was nothing left by the prior residents. I watched a few you tube items that indicate to feed it through the water skimmer thing and into the spot where the bucket would be but do I just measure the middle of the pipe to know if I need 1.25 or 1.5?

Its annoying no pool supplies were left at this house at all just the pool itself so am buying things as I find out I need them. Just saw the vacuum and didn't realize I should have one to do on the bottom. With a screened in pool how often should you vacuum?

Also anything else I should thing about buying?

I bought the test kits
    I bought the pole.
    I bought the net (though thought with the screened in pool I would not use it much)
    I bought the scrubber

I am now looking at the hose and a vacuum

Anything more? and to reiterate my question above how do I determine if its 1.25 or 1.5
    Brand new pool owner
    Size of pool - appx 20,000 gallons
    Filter - DE
    Inground pool plaster/pebble
    (Not asked to be revealed but screened in pool enclosure)
    Do not know flow rate of pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

It's very likely that it's 1½". Or to put it another way. It's highly unlikely that it's 1¼".

However, I'd suggest that you buy a vacuum plate that fits in the skimmer over the basket and use that. It'll have a 1½" vacuum port on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh interesting I didn't know they had ones that fit OVER the basket. I''ll have to look for that. The two videos I watched online had the people taking the baskets out and putting the hose into the pipes under the basket.
    Brand new pool owner
    Size of pool - appx 20,000 gallons
    Filter - DE
    Inground pool plaster/pebble
    (Not asked to be revealed but screened in pool enclosure)
    Do not know flow rate of pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got a cover over my pool so have learned that I rarely have to do any big vacuuming jobs. Yet now and then need a little worm pick up or light cleanup and recently purchased a "Pool Blaster" rechargeable vacuum that fits on to the telescoping pole and makes for fast clean up. Since you have a bird cage you might not need a lot of vacuum? Worth considering, y'know?

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?categ ... 7aodcbyavq
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain