Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

As I mentioned in my prior post I am new to owning a pool. I now realize I don't know what kind of hose to buy for the vacuum. There was nothing left by the prior residents. I watched a few you tube items that indicate to feed it through the water skimmer thing and into the spot where the bucket would be but do I just measure the middle of the pipe to know if I need 1.25 or 1.5?

Its annoying no pool supplies were left at this house at all just the pool itself so am buying things as I find out I need them. Just saw the vacuum and didn't realize I should have one to do on the bottom. With a screened in pool how often should you vacuum?

Also anything else I should thing about buying?

I bought the test kits
    I bought the pole.
    I bought the net (though thought with the screened in pool I would not use it much)
    I bought the scrubber

I am now looking at the hose and a vacuum

Anything more? and to reiterate my question above how do I determine if its 1.25 or 1.5
    Brand new pool owner
    Size of pool - appx 20,000 gallons
    Filter - DE
    Inground pool plaster/pebble
    (Not asked to be revealed but screened in pool enclosure)
    Do not know flow rate of pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

It's very likely that it's 1½". Or to put it another way. It's highly unlikely that it's 1¼".

However, I'd suggest that you buy a vacuum plate that fits in the skimmer over the basket and use that. It'll have a 1½" vacuum port on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh interesting I didn't know they had ones that fit OVER the basket. I''ll have to look for that. The two videos I watched online had the people taking the baskets out and putting the hose into the pipes under the basket.
    Brand new pool owner
    Size of pool - appx 20,000 gallons
    Filter - DE
    Inground pool plaster/pebble
    (Not asked to be revealed but screened in pool enclosure)
    Do not know flow rate of pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got a cover over my pool so have learned that I rarely have to do any big vacuuming jobs. Yet now and then need a little worm pick up or light cleanup and recently purchased a "Pool Blaster" rechargeable vacuum that fits on to the telescoping pole and makes for fast clean up. Since you have a bird cage you might not need a lot of vacuum? Worth considering, y'know?

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?categ ... 7aodcbyavq
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain