Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Marble dusting repair advice needed THANKS!

1. Back To Top    #1

Marble dusting repair advice needed THANKS!

Simple question guys - I had my gunite pool marble dusted last year in a deep blue. We had just bought a new house. There are cracks all over the place. Not leaking water, just highly visible cracking.
    My installer "I have never had cracks before in 20+ years of doing this, will have to empty the pool and patch it up."
    Questions :

1. Dumping salt water not good. We live on the top of a hill and my neighbor will have a salt refuge in his basement. Truck best way to do it? His house is 50 yards down a mild slope.

2. "Patching" I have read that when fixing a bad marble dust job it is a COMPLETE redo - no patching as colors will never match and it will look awkward. Do we agree?

Many thanks, I just want to approach this correctly with my installer - the dime is on him.

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Marble dusting repair advice needed THANKS!

Welcome to TFP!

While I am certainly no plaster expert, that does not sound like a patch job to me. I bet it will look worse than the cracks! I would want a re-do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you - guess that is the plan....ooofa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A little bit of a hi-jack but I do not know what "marble dusting" is. Could you explain the process just briefly and the purpose?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    A little bit of a hi-jack but I do not know what "marble dusting" is. Could you explain the process just briefly and the purpose?
    Again, not a hijack at all. Not in my view anyway.

This is what a plaster job is called in some parts of the country. Recently learned this myself, and now someone else will learn from your question. I bet more than one.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    another name for marcite or white pool plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Not a hijack at all ... . all good! Any opinions here? Is it a patch job or complete redo? Thoughts on all of that water being pumped out?

Cheers and TGIF

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bradcud12
    1. Dumping salt water not good. We live on the top of a hill and my neighbor will have a salt refuge in his basement. Truck best way to do it? His house is 50 yards down a mild slope.
    I doubt it is a problem since the distance is far and you won't be dumping it instantly. How big of a pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.