Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Muratic or Hydrochloric Acid

Muratic or Hydrochloric Acid

Post split from another thread by SeanB - I think we were starting to confuse what should have been a relatively simple issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mcftlf
    On a side note one of my co-workers who owns a 20000 g IG pool saw me a Lowes buying MA and when he found out what I was buying it for says ..."You Cant put that in your pool!"

Thanks again for all the help...This is almost getting fun! Is that possible?
    Isn't it amazing to be able to separate fact from fantasy? Why wouldn't you be able to put Hydrochloric Acid in a pool, where it will release Chlorine ions into your water? Wouldn't 5 seconds of reflection tell you that it's probably the best acid to use in your pool BECAUSE it's hydrochloric acid?

It's like the pool store guy telling me "Oh, you don't want to use bleach--it raises your total dissolved solids!" What is that dissolved solid it's adding? Salt! Sodium Chloride (Hey! More chlorine ions!) And if you use bleach for 5 years in your pool you still won't reach the salt levels needed for .....your salt-water generator! So....fact vs fiction.
    Stay ahead of your water!

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Long time reader, first time poster

Isn't it amazing to be able to separate fact from fantasy? Why wouldn't you be able to put Hydrochloric Acid in a pool, where it will release Chlorine ions into your water? Wouldn't 5 seconds of reflection tell you that it's probably the best acid to use in your pool BECAUSE it's hydrochloric acid?
    I think he put in muriatic....not hydrochloric.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I think he put in muriatic....not hydrochloric.
    If I'm not mistaken, muriatic acid is hydrocloric acid.

Senior Member In the Industry

Yes, but in a different concentration. 31.5% is the muriatic concentration and it's what's generally referred to on the forum for pool use.

(Yes, there are other concentrations but that discussion belongs in the "deep end". We are in "just getting started")
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I'm a newbie here, y'know.
    Don't worry about it Carl, Just read the pool school section and you will soon learn that it only takes 5 minuts a day to stay ahead of your water!

(One thing I have ALWAYS appreciated about Carl, besides his knowledge of pools, is is sense of humor! )

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Just read the pool school section and you will soon learn that it only takes 5 minuts a day to stay ahead of your water!
    Pools are hard work! I went out to test my water and check the pool last night, and I was out there for 45 minutes. Sure, for 43 minutes I was kicked back in my chair in the poolhouse with a beer listening to music , but I was keeping an eye on things, and I had to work pretty hard for 2 minutes testing my water, adding acid and switching my solar panels off BY HAND.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by mcftlf
    This is almost getting fun! Is that possible?
    Absolutely! and....Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ Do not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Gotta agree with CarlD. Once again he's right on the money, IMHO!
    Ditto. I thought maybe I was missing something when he said his advice would be controversial....
    Thanks, guys., I felt funny contradicting FrustratedPoolMom, who wanted the OP to push CYA to 40 at the start.
    I'm a newbie here, y'know.
    No need, I'm still learning, and everybody has to figure what range works best for their pool, like a curve...hehehe you are absolutely welcome to contradict me anytime.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Yes, but in a different concentration. 31.5% is the muriatic concentration and it's what's generally referred to on the forum for pool use.

(Yes, there are other concentrations but that discussion belongs in the "deep end". We are in "just getting started")

I guess most people don't realize that "Muriatic" acid is really a version of hydrochloric acid.
    Stay ahead of your water!

Re: Muratic or Hydrochloric Acid

Funny - the local Patio Pools store sells muratic acid! Does that make them wierd? Or does this mean I maybe can actually trust this store? I sure like the swim shirt I got there!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

Re: Muratic or Hydrochloric Acid

Quote Originally Posted by Swimgirl
    Funny - the local Patio Pools store sells muratic acid! Does that make them wierd? Or does this mean I maybe can actually trust this store? I sure like the swim shirt I got there!
    Just about all pool stores sell muriatic acid. It's a standard pool chemical.