Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First test results after opening

1. Back To Top    #1
    Burlington, NC

First test results after opening

The pool was opened yesterday and my first set of results are posted below. I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. I had the pool company add only liquid chlorine and nothing else. I was thinking I would start bringing the FC down as I get closer to getting it clean. The pool was built in OCT '06 and never reached significant CYA levels so that was basically nil on the test. Do I just use pucks to get the CYA up or do I need to do something more immediate?

CYA-less than 20

Foxx 18 x 36 IG Vinyl
    TR60 Sand Filter, Pentair Whisperflow 1hp
    Blue Pearl robotic cleaner

Burlington, North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA
    Yes, you can just use Trichlor tabs/pucks to raise your CYA if you find that you currently are able to hold chlorine. It only takes a small amount of CYA to get a lot of protection from sunlight so having at least some already in your pool probably means you are fine with just using Trichlor.

For every 1 ppm FC added by Trichlor, you will also be getting 0.6 ppm CYA added to your pool. If you want to raise the CYA more quickly, you can add Dichlor powder (which quickly dissolves in the water) where for every 1 ppm FC you will be getting 0.9 ppm CYA added to your pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"