Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pavers or tiles over existing concrete deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Pavers or tiles over existing concrete deck

Hi all,
    I have been searching this forum for answers to my question but have been unable to figure one part out.

I have a vinyl lined in-ground pool with a concrete deck around it. The coping on the pool is the half-round plastic type (or maybe powder coated aluminum?). I would like to install some sort of paver stone, thin brick, travertine, or similar on top of the existing pool deck to update the look a bit. This will be a budget DIY project.

My question is regarding the coping. Is there a way to remove the existing coping or does this type that I am referring to play a part in holding up the liner? Or, does anyone know of a product that will fit over and cover up the white coping without being overly bulky on the edge of the pool? I imagine it will look rather cheap/tacky to just see a stone sitting on top of the existing coping.

Thanks for any advice!
    Intex 16 x 32 Ultraframe, Krystal Clear 16" pump model CS20110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pavers or tiles over existing concrete deck

Post us a pic!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Most likely the coping is what the liner is attached too. That being said you probably wouldn't be able to remove the coping without possibly having to replace the liner. To remove the coping will require tearing out the concrete that is poured against the coping.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, here are some photos. They are a little dark since I took them early in the morning, but I think they will work. Not sure whey they are showing up sideways and upside down.

We should have at least another couple of years left in our liner, so if we need to replace it in order to do any work to the coping then we probably will just shelve the entire project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 16 x 32 Ultraframe, Krystal Clear 16" pump model CS20110

5. Back To Top    #5

Your pool looks like mine and the liner tucks in under the coping. Here in PA we have a company that is applying a product to concrete called Spadecrete. It looks like a product I saw used in Canada and seems to be a neat idea in changing the look of concrete without adding much thickness.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.