AGP Closing without cover

Sep 30, 2013
Hello, I am new to this forum and a first year above ground pool owner. I live in a very windy area with no trees around me. With this said, I would like to not cover my pool this winter and would like some advise as to what steps I should take to close. My understanding is that I should wait until the water temp is around 60 degrees, but besides that, I could use some advise. As an example, if I do not cover, do I also not use any type of center pillow? I have a fear of ice forning and ruining my liner. Could this occur? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've always used a solid cover and have plenty of FC when I open. Without a cover or with a semi-transparent I would imagine your FC will be 0 before opening.

Liners are meant to withstand frozen water.

Thanks Speedo.

So if Liners are meany to withstand frozen water, that makes me feel better about this apporach. My intent was to close late and open early, which I assume should help to minimize algae bloom.

I think it will be unlikely that you will stay algae free, but please let us know how it goes. The colder the water is when you close and open the better.

No need for a pillow, they really only hold the cover up. I don't use one myself. Have you used them in the past? I ask, since they can help cause cover failures in windy climes. Also, folks with covers in windy places often use plastic wrap the wraps around the top rail and cover edge to seal that opening from letting air lift the cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Linen,

I agree that the algae will not be eliminated, but it will be cutailed. I have never used a pillow, as this is the first year for my pool. My biggest concern was ruining the liner. Do you feel that the freezing water will not be a concern?

My water freezes solid...that happens cover or no cover...and I have yet to have any damage (4 years).

The biggest issue afaik with no having a cover is the the uv from the sun is able to its part in "feeding" any potential algae.

Just thought I would share with all that my pool made it though one of the harshest winters in NE PA history (without a winter cover) with flying colors! I have to say that I was pretty worried that the amount of ice formed would be a problem, but after a thorough inspection of the liner, it looks no worse for wear. Also, I wanted to officially open the pool before the water temp reached 60, which I did last week, and besides some organic matter on the pool bottom, the water is crystal clear. I am very pleased!:D

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I would share a photo as well. The landscaping, some furniture, and some LED lighting is all that is left to do before enjoying the summer!

Attachments

• WP_20140419_20_05_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140419_20_05_49_Pro.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 72
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.