Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Closing without cover

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Closing without cover

Hello, I am new to this forum and a first year above ground pool owner. I live in a very windy area with no trees around me. With this said, I would like to not cover my pool this winter and would like some advise as to what steps I should take to close. My understanding is that I should wait until the water temp is around 60 degrees, but besides that, I could use some advise. As an example, if I do not cover, do I also not use any type of center pillow? I have a fear of ice forning and ruining my liner. Could this occur? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Closing without cover

Welcome to tfp, slachey

Where do you live, do you expect a frozen pool?

Also take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...20group%20pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Northeaster PA and do expect freezing to occur

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you cover it until the leaves have fallen, or is it too late?
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have no trees around me, so leaves are not an issue.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never taken mine down and have tried to keep a cover on with no success. This year I am covering until leaves have fallen and are cleaned up. I don't know if there is a difference cause you are a bit colder or not. But I am leaving it up. Gonna what is recommended here. pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the reply.

Linen,

You asked where I live, but I have not heard back from you. What are your thoughts on not using a cover?

8. Back To Top    #8

I've always used a solid cover and have plenty of FC when I open. Without a cover or with a semi-transparent I would imagine your FC will be 0 before opening.

Liners are meant to withstand frozen water.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]