Crawdad craters under liner.

Sep 30, 2013
Ok. So we bought a new house and one year later buy another 24 foot round swimming pool. We live in the south on about 4 acres of what used to be just a hey field. Creek running next to the house and the crawdads out here are huge.

Before the end of the first season I noticed craters forming under the liner. This opening season I had a new liner put in. I thought the guys coming out would have an idea of how to fix the crawdad problem but they didn't. Every crater had a dead crawdad in it. About 5 or 6 in the bottom al together. So we dug out the burrows and filled with lime base. Recovered with sand and installed liner and crossed fingers. I also lime dusted the bottom to help change the acidicity of the sole and about a 10 foot perimeter of lime dusting.

Better than it was last season but Ihave two craters that have come back. i noticed they came back right after a very hard rain this time. My theory is that these are not new crawdad burrows but the existing ones and the water int he yard is daringin down in the burrows and up under the pool and eroding the sand. I can take a water hose to t burrows in the yard and it takes a very long time to fille up.

I have heard the burrows can be up to 15 foot deep and some of them are about the size of a baseball. Big crawdads!

I am thinking I need to pull the liner. Move the sand base and put something between the lime base and sand to prevent the erosion. But just a theory. Any ideas?

Sounds like your best bet is something more solid that can bridge over the burrows. If you dig down below the pool bottom and make up a mix of sand and cement at a ratio of 4 to 6 bags of sand to one 94 lb. bag of portland cement it will harden up and stop the crawdads from getting under the liner plus it will bridge over any voids or burrows that you couldn't backfill. Then you can put a thin layer of sand over that to make the bottom of the pool feel better on the feet.

Then you can stop fixing your pool and concentrate on boiling and eating those mudbugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.