Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to make in-ground pool look more in-ground...

1. Back To Top    #1

How to make in-ground pool look more in-ground...

The landscaper thinks we should put raised flower beds from back close PVC pipe around deck to step, then slope it down at base with soil. We were thinking building a retaining wall from the fig tree to pool and filling with dirt and then flower beds along deck. Which sounds better? Thx

19,700 gallons non SWG
    Pentair DE quad 100 filter
    Auto chlorinator and nature 2
    Inground pebble
    Intelliflo variable speed 3 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to make in-ground pool look more in-ground...

My suggestion is neither, but rather to have stone (or stone veneer) applied to the pool shell exterior, in some darker contrasting color. I think it would look great and be a nice backdrop for a long curving perennial flower bed.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Problem with that is the drop off. We have six kids...
    19,700 gallons non SWG
    Pentair DE quad 100 filter
    Auto chlorinator and nature 2
    Inground pebble
    Intelliflo variable speed 3 HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The devil is in the details! Again I'm not going with one of your options, so feel free to disregard. I would use soill along with boulders scattered about and a substantial amount of landscaping to make it all sort of blend in. I might also work a casual set of steps or a dropping path down through it for access. The kids will surely run through any large uninterrupted area of plantings. The path could continue on the flatter ground around the backside of the tree and come up on the left. Creating a bit of a potential destination down there as well. I always try to think master plan in addition to solving a problem. Could be done in stages if desired.

Our pool was built so the backside is about 3' out of the ground with the ground continuing to drop away after that as well. All the dig spoils were placed/compacted outside of the lower retaining wall. I am in the process of landscaping it, not like I envision yours, but still with soil and plants, no outer walls. Ok, I'm done with my landscape design exercise for the night.

It's cheaper for me to throw out ideas for someone else then to plan for myself and have to implement it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Depending on the age of the kids, you could have decking with slides and ropes and a den under the decking. It seems a shame to fill all that play space with soil.
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

6. Back To Top    #6

6 kids with that drop off.....I'd look into ways to level it out more. Maybe a deck or something built level to give them some room for error when playing.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would go with a partial retaining wall and then slop the dirt upward towards the pool deck.
    Below is a photo of my recent build and the retaining keystone retaining wall. Vic