Pump Question

Beanie

Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Hey all!
I am new to the board today and from North Carolina. We just installed our pool this year, an above ground 24 inch with sand filter.

Anyway, I don't know much about it (husband knows all the specs and such) but I was wondering how long you all run your filter/pump for? Also what is the difference between high and low? I have been running our filter for about 8 hours a day and then turning it off at night and starting it again in the morning. I like to run it on high because I think it works better, but my husband says that running the pump on high for so long will burn it out? Is that accurate? We are just learning about all of this, so forgive me if this is a dumb question! :)

So, is it okay to run it on high and for how long? How long do you run your filter during the day? By the way, we have absolute crystal clear water and all the chemicals are exactly the right balance.

Hi Beanie and Welcome to TFP!

I can't help much on two-speed pumps and what's good or not but I would imagine high isn't always necesary to run on high. Well, if I had a two speed, I'd probly use it on high for bad algae outbreaks * :shock: * and to circulate a chemical addition and then knock it back for regular filtration but I really can't say for sure because I don't have one.

As far as my pump running, I like to run it at night. I usually start it at 9 pm and shut it down at almost 9 am. And other times, if the kids are in it, I'll turn it back on to help get the bugs off the top. *They hate that!* :rant: and ofcourse, for sweeping, then I shut it down.

As long as you can get about 8 hours a day, whether you break it up in 4 hour increments or one whole 8 or even 12 hour *which is best* you really shouldn't have a problem. Some people like to run 24/7. That's what I did last year and it kept the pool really, really clean but it is uneconomical in my current situation... another reason why I run at night, cheaper electricity. :goodjob:

You'll just have to wait for someone who knows more about 2-speeds. :mrgreen: I could also be waaaay off about how I'd use it too! :shock:

Enjoy the site! I know I do!

Although the wear on high speed might be slightly more than on low speed, it really shouldn't be that much different so I wouldn't worry about running on high speed. You definitely will not burn up the pump however there are other considerations.

High speed will pump water about twice as fast as low speed but using about 3x more energy than low speed so low speed is much more cost effective. If you run at low speed, you should run twice as long as you normally would on high speed. So overall, your energy savings will be about 35% with low speed.

Some areas have time of day electric rates, some areas don't, some areas it depends on how recently your electric meter was installed. You can tell by looking at your bill. If you have time of day rates they will list how much electricity you used at the different times of day. Ours is divided into afternoon, morning/evening, and night.

1st. Welcome! Although I am also fairly new :)

2nd. GO SOX!!!!!!

3rd. We have had our pump for 10 years now. The first year it ran 4 4 hour cycles a day all year. It would also run when temps went below 35*. Freeze protection. Since opening the 2nd season it has run 24x7x365. That is 78840 hours. It has run partially dry 3-5 times now in those years. It is still running strong.

Knock, knock, knock on wood.

We have a 2-speed pump. It runs on low for 7 hours during the night (off-peak rates). We run it on high for an hour or so after we've had the dogs in the pool to skim hair off the surface, and we use the high setting to vacuum.

Beanie said:
Oooh another Boston fan?? Are you displaced too? LOL I lived right outside of Boston all my life until 2 years ago when we moved to NC!!

Love the Sox, been a fan since I was 7 years old!!
/hijack on
Been a fan since 82 and then they broke my heart in 86. It wasn't Buckners fault!!!!! Newport, RI for 8 years. Then here in 90.
/hijack off

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sefrlw said:
Beanie said:
Oooh another Boston fan?? Are you displaced too? LOL I lived right outside of Boston all my life until 2 years ago when we moved to NC!!

Love the Sox, been a fan since I was 7 years old!!
/hijack on
Been a fan since 82 and then they broke my heart in 86. It wasn't Buckners fault!!!!! Newport, RI for 8 years. Then here in 90.
/hijack off
Yah, we don't talk about '86 around here. :( I am just glad I finally got to see them win a World Series in 2004...my Grandfather and I waited a long time, well he waited 60 years, me not so much!! ;)

Annak, I sent you a PM! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.