planning and preparing for a liner replacement

Jun 27, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I plan on replacing the liner next spring. The thing is my pool water's gotten away from me for the last few weeks and is looking rather swamp-like. Should I spend the time and money getting the water in balance before closing the pool?

My hectic schedule is telling me doing so would be a waste seeing as the liner's going to be ripped out anyway; on the other hand, my heart winces every time I look and see what once was crystal clear water now appear like a bog from middle earth.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm in the same boat. We had a major tear in our 15 year old liner....and lost almost 16k gallons of water. Patched it up and added enough water to keep the walls from caving in. I'll add bleach every now and then just to keep the bugs away.....but other than that I've said forget it. No need dumping the cash into the water, just to drain it next year.

doobs - at the latest, mid-October; and, yes, once it's closed I won't have to open until next spring for the liner replacement

Leebo - the difference between our situations is that your water was probably in balance before the tear happened whereas mine's a mess. When you say "walls caving in", do you mean the liner walls or the concrete?

Either way you'll end up dumping all the water, so I'd still say forget it. Not worth SLAMMING for a few weeks of blue water. All inground pools run the risk of the weight of the dirt pushing the walls inward causing the pool to "collapse". The weight of the water helps hold back the dirt.....acting almost like a retaining wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.