UV pool Sanitizer to augment SWG?

Sep 29, 2013
Hello,
I have a 5,800 gallon pool, heated to 90 F. I have an intellichlor IC40. I want to put a UV system after the Intellichlor to add protection and destroy de harmful chlorine by-pruducts. Is there a brand you recomend and a size that can contribute to my already have systems?
thank you!!!

Hi welcome to TFP! If this is an outdoor pool the natural UV from the sun is just as if not more effective at breaking down combined chloramines (the chlorine by products) as any UV system you may purchase. Plus UV from the sun is free!

How much use does the pool get?

Are you measuring for CC, and if yes, what are you getting?

Are you having noticeable water quality issues, such as eye irritation, smell etc?

Like others I have to ask if your currently having CC issues, also are you maintaining your levels in this boards suggested ranges, and what sort of bather load does your pool have? I also have an indoor pool, but it is a bit larger than yours and I keep it a bit cooler (around 85 degrees), and rarely have CC issues, I did buy a UV Ozonator a couple of years ago for potential CC issues, but have never bothered connecting it as with regular testing and maintaining TFP suggested levels for an indoor pool my CC almost never gets over .5 ppm (almost always below .2ppm) , on those rare occasions where it does (after large swim parties, etc.) it is simple enough to use chlorine free MPS shock to resolve the CC build up. This is not to say that I have not had CC problems in the past before discovering the TFP methods, just that since adopting them I have had no unexpected water problems.

Ike

I just measure the manual drop tester of chlorine and ph. My pool gets a lot of use, about 30 kids per day, I teach baby survival swim. they are full of creams, vaseline and sometimes they throw up. I just installed a second pentair cartridge filter. The intelichlore was getting dirty and not producing chlorine. I was thinking to install a uv system after the intelichlore for double protection.

With the bather load you describe for an indoor pool, you will very likely need some form of supplemental oxidation and/or chloramine control so either an ozone or UV system. 30 kids in 5800 gallons is a lot. With the way you are using the pool, it is likely to fall under commercial/public pool regulations and that typically limits bather load in the shallow end to at least 8 square feet per bather (15 square feet per bather if the deck is less than the square footage of the pool). A 5600 gallon round above-ground pool sounds like it might be an 18' diameter 48" deep Intex Easy Set. So that is 254 square feet so 254/30 = 8.5 square feet per bather if all the kids are in at the same time. I suspect they are not and you have lessons throughout the day, is that correct?

Makes sense. Yes, you may still need supplemental systems but mostly because it is indoors. 30*10/60 = 5 bather-hours is not extraordinary (though if you are in the water at the same time, then double that) and these are babies so are small and don't create as much chlorine demand unless they have an accident (urinate or defecate). Do you have them in some sort of water-tight diapers? What do you do if one has an accident?

With an SWG it is possible that you'll be able to keep the chloramines low without needing the UV. Perhaps you could have them plumb the system so that UV could be easily added, but try running without it at first and see how things go. [EDIT] Scratch that idea and read my later post below. [END-EDIT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually, the UV system would probably be a good idea for another reason and that is to handle Cryptosporidium parvum. It can be life-threatening to babies so you don't want one infected baby to hurt others with this parasite that is highly chlorine-resistant. It is transmitted from diarrhea from one person to the mouth (i.e. swallowed) of another. That would be a reason to have either UV or ozone for this pool even if it were outdoors. This pool is being operated more like a commercial/public pool due to the large variety of different bathers. That's when person-to-person transmission of disease becomes a more important issue to manage.

o.k. now we all agree of the importance of complementing my ssystem with a uv light system.
Can you recommend a brand and power of a UV system, probably with medium power, so that it would kill also Chloramines?
there is so much out there in the market, that I get more confuse, and I think some of them are a scam.
thank you if anybody can recomend what product for my pool.
Monica

forgot to mention my ceiing is opaque, no direct light at all, I rented a local in a comercial center and that is where I set up the pool.
please advice so that I can order it as soon as posible, good quality good price, efective. Don;t want any Cryptosporidium parvum in teh pool, and babies are delicate.
thank you so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.