Help! Ecostar driver error!

kyle11

May 17, 2012
So I just went out to the pool and the pump is saying driver error, driver has stalled. I have looked online and found to check the leads which all seems good. I have checked the impeller and it spins freely. Ohms reading from lead to ground shows no continuity. From lead to lead shows .8. Has the driver failed?is there anything else to try?

I bought this last July but didn't get it going and installed until late august into September. How is Hayward about times? I know it says it has a one year warranty, do they understand when you buy something for a new build it does not get installed right away? Surely they allow some lead way.

Just to update this thread. I contacted Hayward. They lead me to a local warranty servicer who luckily knew a Hayward guy was actually in our area today. He came by earlier and diagnosed the problem which was the drive. Something I didn't know is parts in the ecostar are covered for 3 years according to him. He ordered one and is having it shipped to our house. I just install it when it gets here since service is not included which is fine, it's only 4 wires. He had no idea why it failed but I'm glad to know parts are covered for 2 more years. Meanwhile my pool is starting to bloom algae and I am going to have to do a major shock.

New drive came in today and I got it hooked up. Breaker kept tripping so I replaced it with a regular breaker. Works perfectly now. So basically out $100 for a new gfci breaker but back up and running finally. Wonder why the breaker went out? Is it tied to the drive.

The NEC 2008 specifies that GFCIs for pool pumps be "Personnel-Protective" GFCIs, which trip at 6 mA of leaking current within 25 milliseconds. One of the problems with a variable speed drive is that it can introduce line harmonics, which can cause some GFCIs to trip. Pentair makes GFCIs to meet the specifications of NEC 2008, and to be used for variable speed drives, such as the Ecostar or IntelliFlo.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... er-428.htm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.