Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do I do when pool build finishes in winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Louis, MO

What do I do when pool build finishes in winter?

I signed my contract at the end of April, with an expectation that my pool would be finished in "45 dry days". We still have a LONG way to go! It will definitely be cold when the pool is filled. We are having a Pebble Sheen (actually Stonescapes) finish applied. I have heard about the importance of maintaining proper chemistry and brushing the surface for some time after application. How is this done when a pool is finished this late in the season?

Excavation was done in May. Shotcrete was done at the end of July. PB has been messing around with tracks for our Cover Star auto cover for a few weeks. Raised walls on the pool are yet to be constructed... This has been an extremely frustrating experience...
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Klein Tejas

Re: What do I do when pool build finishes in winter?

I finished my pool in November. The water chemistry is easier to maintain in the cooler weather.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

3. Back To Top    #3

Ocean County NJ

I was told by 2 pool builders that the pool would be done in late fall and plastering would be done in spring time. I guess the way the plaster settles.
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

Like hudsonviews this point it's probably a better idea to wait until the spring to plaster and fill. Brand new plaster is pretty sensitive and needs management, which you can't do with the pool closed and covered. Sorry this has been such an ordeal for you!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure what PT says, but the finish I chose (CLI Quartz) has to be applied in temperatures of 40F plus. As MIT and others have said, new finishes need maintaining, and you can't do it with the pool closed/covered. I am digging in late November, and may have to wait till spring to have my finish applied. Look into it, but I can't imagine PT would be all that different in temperature requirements for application.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    Central MD

Our pool was dug in MD in February. Here there are no generally no plasterers working during that time period. They all go south. Ours was just plaster and they said the temperature should be over 60. At least that was their preference. Ours was more a matter of the labor to do it had not yet come back north.

Letting a concrete pool shell sit through the winter is no issue so long as there are hydrostatic valves or you fill it at least partially up. I've seen numerous pool here built in the fall with interior finishing done the following spring.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013