Hope for some help with SWG

zhenya

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I just bought a house with a pool. The previous owner drained the pool couple of month ago because of a leak in the skimmer. This seems like the best time to do all the repairs and get the pool going ASAP. Here are some questions that I hope to get help with
- The pool has copper pipes going to jets and to the main drain on the bottom. Is that a problem. Do I need to cut the pool to replace the main line or can I keep copper
- which equipment to use. Some contractors are saying that Hayward is the way to go while others are badmouthing it and pushing Jandy. Is there a difference? which one would you go with?
- I am planning on putting grass around the pool (right outside of copping) is there a problem with salt water splashing on the grass
- Hayward has a system called Sense & Dispense which would help maintain pH level automatically. Is it worth adding?

I am a newbie to pool ownership and I hope you can all help me get educated on pool creating and maintenance.

zhenya said:
- I am planning on putting grass around the pool (right outside of copping) is there a problem with salt water splashing on the grass

Is mowing the grass going to be an issue with spraying clippings into the pool or worse yet, fertilizers and such drifting into the water? Both are very bad for pools. How wide is this coping from the pool edge?

Copper pipes are just fine if you maintain proper water chemistry. prolonged low pH will erode the copper and often deposit it on your pool surfaces causing a very troublesome stain. My choice would be aware that you have copper and monitor your water to keep it in balance.

Brand names of equipment seem pretty much inconsequential. A PB who speaks disparagingly of a particular brand would raise my antennae a bit. It's all pretty much the same.

Do you not have decking around the pool? Grass very close to the pool edge would be an issue but the salt water won't affect it regardless.

My suggestion for pH control is to learn it manually first. You can always add automation later if you choose. Particularly with the copper pipes, I would not want to be a newbie putting blind faith in automated pH control until I was VERY familiar with pool water management.

My pool has what seems like miles of copper going to and from the pool. I have had no issues at all.

Salt water goes all over my tender St. Augustine all the time. Even if I backwash onto my yard, the grass is fine.

If I were to do mine over, I'd go all Pentair. There's nothing wrong with my Compupool, but having everything Pentair would open the door to easier automation if I wanted to go that way. Like Dave said, brands don't really seem to matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.