Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Upgrading from intex to 24' round agp. Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Upgrading from intex to 24' round agp. Thoughts?

So thanks to a successful vegas penny machine adventure I have enough winnings to upgrade our 9x18 intex to. 24' round hard sided pool. Unsure what pool to get. Definitely want. Salt water generator and a cartridge filter but struggling with the pool. Some say MUST be resin, some say as long as top/side rails are resin we're good. Just not sure if we REALLY need a top of the line pool versus a higher mid grade. They say wide top rails are better but you're still not supposed to walk/sit on them. If that's true then why wider ones? Smaller ones are probably easier to deal with while cleaning, etc. any thoughts??
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Upgrading from intex to 24' round agp. Thoughts?

Wide top rails are easier to set your favorite beverage on mostly! Still no standing or sitting regardless of type. I'd get resin--look better longer, won't rust. Mostly for looks. Make sure the warranty on whichever pool you choose covers using a SWG. Wish I would have done as well in Vegas!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!!! I'm looking at a sharkline venture from poolsupplyworld. was originally looking at the matrix, but after some research found that the venture is sold under a few different names, but manufactured by wilbar and still carries a 40 year warranty even with the salt water generator. it saves like $500 bucks over the matrix, that we can use towards a deck!! Having a terrible time finding an installer though, ugh!! Thanks!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

4. Back To Top    #4

I still think the matrix may be a better one to buy...5year full warranty (verses 2-year full afaik) and resin uprights (verses steel).

Also I am reading this in the warranty for both models:
    Damages caused by the utilization of a saltwater chlorination system in combination with a steel pool structure (top ledges, uprights, joiner plates, wall channels).
    See here and here.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the matrix today should be here by oct 11. Found a installer too if all goes as planned it'll be up oct 20! I'm so excited. It's gonna be a looooong winter

6. Back To Top    #6

Congrats! You're going to love it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ugh now my eyes twitching. We had so many issues with bonding the intex I fear were going to have the same issue with the matrix. How are you bonding the water in yours? If there's something I need the installers to do while they're here I'd rather know ahead of time. I forgot that there's no metal to bond to in the matrix except the wall. The manual provides no instruction either. Any ideas?

8. Back To Top    #8

If I bond the skimmer do I still need to bond the wall?

9. Back To Top    #9

Take a look at this post how member cramer bonded his matrix wall: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bondi...2.html#p416041

You also need a water bond, which is what I am assume you are referring to at the skimmer?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you!!!!