I'd first like to thank TFP for helping me with my pool summer. I don't post a lot but I have been reading and learning a ton about how pool chemistry works and I have had a very successful summer with my pool...
I bought my house in June and it came with a pool and a hot tub. The previous owner told me that it was time to drain the hot tub because it should be done every 6 months or so... Knowing that I was going to have my hands full with the pool, I decided to drain the hot tub and keep it empty until it was time to close the pool.
Well now that it's getting colder I decided to start the process to get the hot tub up and running. It's been empty and not running (I flipped the circuit breaker off) for about 3 months. Occasionally I would lift the cover to check to make sure nothing was growing inside the tub and everything looks fine.
The hot tub is a Master Spa LSX http://www.masterspas.com/lsx.php
The previous owner left me a bunch of chemicals which are all "Leasure Time" Spa chemicals and are listed below:
- Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-22337-Chl ... B000NCW904
- RENU2 Renew Non-Chorine Shock (About 10 bottles of this) - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-RENU2-Ren ... 000LS2HEI/
- Spa Defender - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-Spa- ... 000NJ7JRK/
- Jet Clean - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-4545 ... 000NCOC6I/
- Bright and Clear - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-Brig ... B000NJBA5C
- Metal Gon - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-Spa- ... B000V87OY6
- Spa Down - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-2233 ... B000V8BUBE
- Foam Down - http://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Time-HQ-F ... B000PSBAS8
- Plus some spa fragrances
Here are my questions:
1) Should I decontaminate http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index ... tamination the tub? The water did not look bad when I drained it but it's been sitting empty. I guess it couldn't hurt to do it, but if I don't need to, I'd like to skip it. What should I look for to decide if i should decontaminate or not?
2) I plan on using the Dichlor/Bleach method. I assume i'll use the Spa 56 Chlorinating Granules to get CYA to 30ppm then use bleach the rest of the way. Is this correct? Is 30ppm CYA too much? My spa will get no sunlight, it has a cover and is under a roof. It also looks like my spa has an ozonator. Will that affect my target CYA?
3) Once everything is balanced, what would I use the Renew Non-chlorine shock for mentioned above? They seemed to have left me a lot of this and I'm not sure where it would fit in with the Dichlor/Bleach method if at all. Would I be able to use the other chemicals at all using this method also?
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Oh and FYI I have the TF-100 test kit.