Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions for patching factory holes in Intex cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions for patching factory holes in Intex cover?

I have been pondering what I should best use to patch the holes that Intex so nicely builds into their factory covers.

Any ideas? Don't really want to use duct tape, it doesn't like the cold/wet and that adhesive wears off into a GUMMY mess. I was thinking of using a vinyl patch, but not too sure as to what type.

The stick-on, pre-adhesive-coated clear type that Intex includes with the ring pools is pretty SWEET!!
    However I would have to put it on both sides, so maybe..... =/
    Anyone know where to get more of it, in sufficient quantity?

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Flagline-Tear-...ck+vinyl+patch
    Which is QUITE EXPENSIVE!!
    I feel it's important to know what material the cover is made from, is it really vinyl?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions for patching factory holes in Intex cover?

I've used regular vinyl patch kits that also work under water. Use minimal glue as excess will crinkle/distort the patch material. It irritates me to no end that you buy a cover to keep things out, and find that a new one starts with holes. All because of our litigious society. This is another item on the list of things I won't miss next year.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I found a decent amount of vinyl patch locally, had to take an hour long drive to get it, but I felt it was worth it.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_102929-1003-...ductId=3005583
    The box contains a 5.5" X 23" long piece of clear, flexible vinyl, along with a rather large quantity of 2 textures of clear peel & stick types, plus a decently sized adhesive tube. It was only $5!!

I have used vinyl patch plenty of times, but have always wondered if I'm doing it right.

Instead of listing questions and such, in the interest of a short post, I'll just ask...
    Any tips on applying these guys, especially with this very flexible cover?

Thanks!!!
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

honestly, that intex cover isnt worth your time. mine kept coming undone, ending up wadded up in bottom of pool. its useless. pop the 40 bucks for a decent winter cover. well worth the money.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

I might agree with that, but being as I have an inflateable ring type pool, it snugs around the ring quite well and stays on its own, through gusts of 45mph+ mph . Although, now that I'm filling in the holes that helped suction it to the water surface, that may change. But I doubt it, what with that big blow up ring holding onto it.

We shall see!
    This pool is getting torn down next year anyway, to make way for a much bigger AGP.
    So I need to put all the money I can toward a new pump, filter, cleaner bot, etc..

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi,

I live in eastern North Carolina where the winters are not particularly harsh. I plan on using the original Intex pool cover and contemplated patching the holes, but decided not to do it because I believe the holes will prevent the cover from being caught by the wind and causing stress damage to it. We have an inflated beach ball resting in an inflated inner tube (tied to the sides of the pool so it remains roughly centered)

The cover rests on top of the beach ball/inner tube and is additionally secured to the sides of the pool with stretch wrap (kind of like heavy duty stretch saran wrap - see it here: http://tinyurl.com/lpefqvw ) In addition, I have gotten a leaf cover to put over the Intex cover to prevent any leaves & debris from falling through the holes.

The pool is drained to below the skimmer (I installed one this summer). I have removed the skimmer weir (door) & the skimmer hose to the pump & will leave the skimmer open so it can drain any additional rain water that may enter the pool. We'll see how this works!
    4,000 gal, Intex 14' x 4' AGP, Intex pump/filter, thru wall skimmer, Taylor test kit, Catfish vacuum