ambient water temp

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
So now begin to understand costs of heating pools in Western Washington.

Ambient water temp seems to be about 70 in August. And to get to 85 for toddlers costs a bit of $$.

What is the ambient preheated water temp in S Florida, S Texas, Arizona, S Calif, etc?

We have very large pools on my street as you can see by my sig line. The person across the street from me has a gas heater, and told me that it can cost him $1,000 a month to heat during cool months. I cut my heater out and took it to the recycler when I installed my SWG. I can still swim right now with no heater so I don't see the point.

A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature. So it really depends on the weather/time of year. I've had close to 15 degree gain with just a solar cover and although I have solar panels, I hardly ever use them when I have the cover on the pool and I can still maintain 85 degree water temperature.

A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature.
My pool performs almost exactly as mas985 states.

If my daytime high is 90 and low is 70.....I have 80 degree water

If my daytime high is 50 and low is 30.......I have 40 degree water.

Each climate is different and relative humidity can play a large role but mas985's statement is a very good guideline.

danacc said:
Dallas - Fort Worth area, 84-86 water temperature right now.

You can look at this thread to see water temperatures reported throughout the season from different locations, some with solar, some with covers, and so forth: what-s-your-current-pool-temp-t41-1320.html#p584771.

wow 84 Las Vegas in June
lots higher than ave temps here in Pacific Northwest
high average temp is 65 in August
so lotsa BTUS to heat

but then, how much is a grandbaby giggle worth and
but then, heating will cost less after some climate change :) and
but then, I will be dead by then and
but then, will benefit the kids

thanks for the info

In the Orlando FL area:

We fill with well water - constant 72 out of the hose.
Day time temps - 95 to 98 in the summer. A lot of direct sun.
Water temp - we've been pretty consistent between 88 and 92 depending on the amount of sun we get that day.
This last week we've been under clouds and rain (which is more the exception not the rule, and we're down to 82 in the pool!!

Nplsdvr said:
In the Orlando FL area:

Water temp - we've been pretty consistent between 88 and 92 depending on the amount of sun we get that day.
This last week we've been under clouds and rain (which is more the exception not the rule, and we're down to 82 in the pool!!
Down to 82?
Down to 82?
My heater works all day to get to 82
I wonder why the previous owner built the pool
Maybe energy was cheap then

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
engrav said:
Nplsdvr said:
In the Orlando FL area:

Down to 82?
Down to 82?
My heater works all day to get to 82
I wonder why the previous owner built the pool
Maybe energy was cheap then

All I can tell you is that when I first moved into my house in 1985, propane was 50-60 cents a gallon with no tank rental fee (I don't own the propane tank). Now, propane is $4.60 to $5.00 a gallon with a $50/year tank rental. When we moved here, we heated the uncovered pool to 86 almost every weekend up to the first of the year. Now, I only use the heater for the spa. I could easily see it being $1000 a month in the Winter here in FL to do the same as we once did for about $130 a month. We are running about 80 degrees her in the Tampa area (actually 77-78 in the AM and about 80-81 by 4:00 PM). We just got out of a 3 day cloudy/wet period.

mas985 said:
A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature. So it really depends on the weather/time of year. I've had close to 15 degree gain with just a solar cover and although I have solar panels, I hardly ever use them when I have the cover on the pool and I can still maintain 85 degree water temperature.

Is this from using one of those "bubble" type solar covers?

Definitely use a cover. Looking at the last two weeks here, I would expect my pool temp to be around 62F without a cover or the solar heat. With them, we are still swimming and should be up to 74F pool temp today. I estimate about 2/3 of the increase is due to the cover, and the rest due to our solar heating (used "religiously" whenever there is sun on the panels to heat with). This time of year, our pool area is fairly shaded and gets good sun only about 3.5 hours/day and our solar panels only get some sun for about 5 hours/day now.

mas985 said:
A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature.
This applies to my pool. It gets full sun, but has a deep end. I also notice a bit of a thermocline when I first get in and start doing laps as some of the cooler water from the deep end mixes with the warmer water at the surface. This is most prevalent in late morning/early afternoon on sunny days. Average depth, sun coverage, and surface color will also play a role in ambient water temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.