Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ambient water temp

1. Back To Top    #1

ambient water temp

So now begin to understand costs of heating pools in Western Washington.

Ambient water temp seems to be about 70 in August. And to get to 85 for toddlers costs a bit of $$.

What is the ambient preheated water temp in S Florida, S Texas, Arizona, S Calif, etc?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ambient water temp

We have very large pools on my street as you can see by my sig line. The person across the street from me has a gas heater, and told me that it can cost him $1,000 a month to heat during cool months. I cut my heater out and took it to the recycler when I installed my SWG. I can still swim right now with no heater so I don't see the point.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature. So it really depends on the weather/time of year. I've had close to 15 degree gain with just a solar cover and although I have solar panels, I hardly ever use them when I have the cover on the pool and I can still maintain 85 degree water temperature.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature.
    My pool performs almost exactly as mas985 states.

If my daytime high is 90 and low is 70.....I have 80 degree water

If my daytime high is 50 and low is 30.......I have 40 degree water.

Each climate is different and relative humidity can play a large role but mas985's statement is a very good guideline.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas - Fort Worth area, 84-86 water temperature right now.

You can look at this thread to see water temperatures reported throughout the season from different locations, some with solar, some with covers, and so forth: what-s-your-current-pool-temp-t41-1320.html#p584771.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by danacc
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, 84-86 water temperature right now.

You can look at this thread to see water temperatures reported throughout the season from different locations, some with solar, some with covers, and so forth: what-s-your-current-pool-temp-t41-1320.html#p584771.
    wow 84 Las Vegas in June
    lots higher than ave temps here in Pacific Northwest
    high average temp is 65 in August
    so lotsa BTUS to heat

but then, how much is a grandbaby giggle worth and
    but then, heating will cost less after some climate change and
    but then, I will be dead by then and
    but then, will benefit the kids

thanks for the info
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Orlando FL area:

We fill with well water - constant 72 out of the hose.
    Day time temps - 95 to 98 in the summer. A lot of direct sun.
    Water temp - we've been pretty consistent between 88 and 92 depending on the amount of sun we get that day.
    This last week we've been under clouds and rain (which is more the exception not the rule, and we're down to 82 in the pool!!
    15,000 gal, IG, Vinyl
    Cartridge Filter: Hayward C12002, 120 GPM
    Pump: 1.5 hp, Flotec AT251501-01
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nplsdvr
    In the Orlando FL area:

Water temp - we've been pretty consistent between 88 and 92 depending on the amount of sun we get that day.
    This last week we've been under clouds and rain (which is more the exception not the rule, and we're down to 82 in the pool!!
    Down to 82?
    Down to 82?
    My heater works all day to get to 82
    I wonder why the previous owner built the pool
    Maybe energy was cheap then

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Heating a pool will be a major expense in your climate. Do you have a solar cover?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by engrav
    Down to 82?
    Down to 82?
    I guess you don't want to hear about the first day of sunshine in 5 days and we're back at 88, huh?
    15,000 gal, IG, Vinyl
    Cartridge Filter: Hayward C12002, 120 GPM
    Pump: 1.5 hp, Flotec AT251501-01
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by engrav
    Quote Originally Posted by Nplsdvr
    In the Orlando FL area:

Down to 82?
    Down to 82?

All I can tell you is that when I first moved into my house in 1985, propane was 50-60 cents a gallon with no tank rental fee (I don't own the propane tank). Now, propane is $4.60 to $5.00 a gallon with a $50/year tank rental. When we moved here, we heated the uncovered pool to 86 almost every weekend up to the first of the year. Now, I only use the heater for the spa. I could easily see it being $1000 a month in the Winter here in FL to do the same as we once did for about $130 a month. We are running about 80 degrees her in the Tampa area (actually 77-78 in the AM and about 80-81 by 4:00 PM). We just got out of a 3 day cloudy/wet period.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature. So it really depends on the weather/time of year. I've had close to 15 degree gain with just a solar cover and although I have solar panels, I hardly ever use them when I have the cover on the pool and I can still maintain 85 degree water temperature.
    Is this from using one of those "bubble" type solar covers?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, a clear bubble cover.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Definitely use a cover. Looking at the last two weeks here, I would expect my pool temp to be around 62F without a cover or the solar heat. With them, we are still swimming and should be up to 74F pool temp today. I estimate about 2/3 of the increase is due to the cover, and the rest due to our solar heating (used "religiously" whenever there is sun on the panels to heat with). This time of year, our pool area is fairly shaded and gets good sun only about 3.5 hours/day and our solar panels only get some sun for about 5 hours/day now.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    A unheated, non-covered pool will have a temperature that is pretty close to the average air temperature.
    This applies to my pool. It gets full sun, but has a deep end. I also notice a bit of a thermocline when I first get in and start doing laps as some of the cooler water from the deep end mixes with the warmer water at the surface. This is most prevalent in late morning/early afternoon on sunny days. Average depth, sun coverage, and surface color will also play a role in ambient water temps.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.