Backwash and DE filter

Sep 11, 2013
DFW Metroplex
First time pool owner, did my my first back wash on my own, previous owner left me a note saying after backwash fill the skimmer with 10 scops of DE, do I need to do that? Also,backwash drained around 1 and half inch of my pool water, is it normal?

You do have to recharge a DE filter after backflushing . It was nice of the PO to leave you a note telling you how much. Yes, backflushing drains water from your pool.

Hello from another suburb of Dallas. :)

For the DE6020 you should use 6 pounds of DE after backwashing or 8 pounds after a full cleaning. DE is about 48 ounces (volume) per pound.

1.5 inches is too much water to use. Although, your pool is rather small and would take a noticeable amount. What is your backwash procedure?

RobbieH said:
You do have to recharge a DE filter after backflushing . It was nice of the PO to leave you a note telling you how much. Yes, backflushing drains water from your pool.

Hello from another suburb of Dallas. :)

Thanks, I will make a trip to Leslies to get DE, I won't give any credit to my previous house owner :evil: ,he didn't maintained the pool properly after the option period and until the closing (46 days), I am still fighting the algae he left behind.

JamesW said:
For the DE6020 you should use 6 pounds of DE after backwashing or 8 pounds after a full cleaning. DE is about 48 ounces (volume) per pound.

1.5 inches is too much water to use. Although, your pool is rather small and would take a noticeable amount. What is your backwash procedure?

My backwash procedure:

1. Turn the pump off.
2. Turn and pull up the back wash handle.
3. Turn the pump on and run it for 2 minutes.
4. Turn off the pump.
5. Turn and push down the back wash handle.
6. Turn the pump on for 15 seconds.
7. Repeat steps 1 to 6 for 3 times.
8. Load the skimmers with 10 scoops of DE.
9. Run the pump normal and make sure pressure gauge shows the pressure less than 18 and if it reaches 23 time to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.