Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winter care

1. Back To Top    #1

Whidbey Island, WA

winter care

So now it is covered, sky is cloudy, temp is 60, chemistries cool and pump running 3 times q day for 2 hours and "winter is here". As is the normal for Seattle (as per my pool guy, who is pretty good).

Two winter queries.

Some debris is round the deep drain. I suppose worms and shrews, etc. Just leave it all winter or vac from time to time?
    Since in the other thread 6hrs qday is $30 q month, can I drop to 3hrs qday?

Thank you.
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: winter care

Likely 3 hours is more than enough when the water is cold. Do you also maintain the chemistry over the winter? Adding chlorine etc?

If it is easy enough to vacuum to waste, I would consider it to eliminate all worms that will consume the FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!