newby in Walnut creek, CA

Ok, thanks Dave, but I really need some guidance. I have read pool school and bought a good test kit but still feel pretty much lost. I should've never listened to the guys at the pool store...I don't think they ever tested for CYA, since it was always

60/70. But I was a newbee so I listened to them and bought all their garbage...and had no idea about this site or the poolforum site. Now I'm draining the pool for the second time since we moved here almost 5 months ago....so bummed.

I'd say it's about half-way empty now, after 24 hrs...small pump.

Thanks for any help.

You don't need to shock on a refill but some city water has a lot of chloramines which will reduce FC. So you just need to make sure the FC level is kept above the minimum of the FC/CYA chart.

Ok thanks Mark. It is still emptying...not yet 75%. Question...can I turn the pump on when refilling it and if so, when? I thought it had to be above the skimmer level for the pump to run but if I shut that skimmer off, can I just run it using the bottom drain? (not sure how to do this but if it's possible, I will figure it out...I hope)

Thanks.

There was algae in the water, and if you didn't fully drain and clean the pool, it's still there. You'll need to slam once it's refilled to get rid of the algae. (Draining and refilling in and of itself doesn't mean you need to slam, but in your case, you're fighting algae in the water.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shoot. I read the link on pool school and cleaned the filter before I got these posts and have already soaked the cartridges in TSP overnight. Will I have to do this process again? I'm on day 4 now of draining with my little pump and am draining more than 75%...thinking about draining it all.

Thanks.

Ok thanks. I'm not sure how old these cartridges are but I'm guessing they are probably due to be replaced...how do I know when it's time?

Well, the water looks pretty bad and I am now finding black spots, which I'm assuming is black algae. And I don't want to go through this again so I figure I might as well start over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.