1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Borates???

I want to add borates to my pool. My numbers are:

FC 7
    CC 0
    TC 7
    Ph 7.4
    TA 120

Question, how low do I need to get the Total Alk. down to before adding borax and acid?
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Borates???

My numbers are close to yours; so I'll wait to see what kind of an answer you get. I was going to add borates to the pool until I read about adding salt to the pool. Now I'm not sure what I will add to make the water feel better and have a better look to it.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

the only diff in your numbers and mine were that my TA was 90-100. I added the borax and acid following the directions to a T and nothing changed. I don't think you need to worry about the TA. But yeah wait for the experts to be sure.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

4. Back To Top    #4

The appropriate TA level before adding borates has a great deal to do with how much of an issue you have with PH rising from aeration. If you don't have a SWG, spa, fountain, or waterfall and don't currently have issues with PH rising, then TA can be at any reasonable level.

If you are adding borates to try and get PH rises under control then it is important to lower TA first, because that will be significantly more difficult once you are the borates. In this case you want to lower TA down fairly low, 50-80 depending on your CYA level and amount of aeration, at the lower end of that range with low CYA and high aeration.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I was considering adding borates as an algae preventative. So far I haven't had any problems w/ rising ph even after running a fountain (via one of my returns) all day. I have been gradually lowering my TA the past few days. It started at 130 and the last time I tested was down to 120. I've purchased 12 boxes of borax and 3.5 gal of acid but was not sure about the beginning TA.
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter