Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another new convert

1. Back To Top    #1

Another new convert

Hi,
    I have a new to me old IG plaster pool (house is 55 years old). Within a couple of weeks of moving in, I ended up with a bright green swamp and lots of pool store advice (and products!). After finding this site, I now have my sparkling clear water back and couldn't be happier.

My question is my cya level. Before my slam, it was way over 100 (by pool store testing and by my own). After slamming I re-measured it (twice because I thought it was not right) and came up with 75 (both times). Now, 4 weeks later, I thought I would check it again. I have not drained the pool, and the only water loss has been back-flushing and evaporation. I have been having to run fresh water into it for 20 to 30 minutes and day ( have not yet measured flow rate). And so this morning my cya level is 40! Does this seem right? Where did it go? If it is right then I guess my chlorine level is too high. I did not recheck since this used up the last of my reagent and I need to replenish.

Other results:
    fc = 8
    tc = 8.5
    cc = 0.5
    ph = 7.6
    ta = 120
    cya = 40(?)

Thanks for all your help,
    Gwen

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another new convert

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are having to add a lot of water each day ... although getting the flow rate would be a good idea.

A dropping CYA is one sign of a pool leak. You may want to stop adding water and do a bucket test to see if your pool is leaking and you are losing the CYA>
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason is right. You need to stop filling and see what happens to your water level then. It does sound likely that you have a leak.

Glad you found us, so welcome to TFP! :P

If you could add more info about your pool it would be most helpful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have been having to run fresh water into it for 20 to 30 minutes and day
    How big is your pool? Doing a rough calculation, you have replaced over 5,000 gallons of pool water in that four weeks.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an amoeba-shaped pool that may be about 15,000 gals. I have a sand filter ( valve 1-1/2" Hi-Flow Butt) and a Magnetec Centurion Switchless Motor pump (CAT B121, HP 3/4, Type CX, Hz 60, RPM 3450, Volts 230/115, Amps SF 6.0/12.0).

I have put a bucket of water on the top step. So far (8 hours) evap rate is the same as the pool. I think it leaks when the pump runs at night.

6. Back To Top    #6

And I live in Scottsdale, AZ where we do have a pretty high evap rate this time of year.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, let's just see what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

The pump ran for 5 hours last night. The bucket and the pool are still at the same level. I'll measure flow rate this afternoon.

When I turned the pump off this morning, water blew out the Kreepy Krawly connections and squirted water two feet into the air. What's that all about?

Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

What's that all about?
    A suction side air leak. Air is being sucked into the filter and when the pump is shut off, the air in the filter blows the water back out through the pump and into your skimmer.

To fix it, you must find where the air is being sucked in and stop that leak.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Is there a thread that will walk me through that?

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to tfp, Gwen

It is covered in this pool school article:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...leak_detection

Most common places are the pump basket oring (relube it), leaking pump drain plugs, low water level causing air to be sucked into skimmer, stuck skimmer weir door, and leaking unions (relube).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.