Can Pure Food Grade Citric Acid Be Used For Chelation?

Sep 27, 2013
The prices on food grade citric acid are much lower than store bought pool chelators which contain the same active ingredient. Is there any reason why pure citric acid could not be used? Anyone know how much to use?

Yes I do have some rust stains on my ladder and skimmer.
How much citric acid should be used for a 16,000 gallon pool with a salt water chlorine generator.
My plan is to use ascorbic acid to remove the stains and citric acid to chelate.

Looks like I could skip the ascorbic acid and just use the citric acid.
Anyways 1.5 to 2 times more than a half to one pound of ascorbic acid per 10,000 gal seems excessive. According to the MSDS pdf for Metal Free, the product contains only 0.5 - 1.5 percent citric acid. And the instructions say to add 32oz (1L) of METALfree per 20,000 gallons. My calculator says .5% to 1.5% of 32 0z = .16 to .48 ounces of pure citric acid.
I am confused.

AA or citric acid in high quantity are used to remove the stains. Metal free is a sequestering agent to prevent the stains from starting. Did you read the article in Pool School about metals?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.