Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Pure Food Grade Citric Acid Be Used For Chelation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Pure Food Grade Citric Acid Be Used For Chelation?

The prices on food grade citric acid are much lower than store bought pool chelators which contain the same active ingredient. Is there any reason why pure citric acid could not be used? Anyone know how much to use?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Pure Food Grade Citric Acid Be Used For Chelation?

Welcome to TFP!!!

There are a lot of discussions about this as can be found using the search at the upper right: https://www.google.com/search?q=citric+ ... afe=images

Basically looks like using citric acid is fine, but you may need 1.5 to 2 times more than if you were using ascorbic acid. Here is the process: ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html

Do you currently have metal staining? Or what are you trying to accomplish?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I do have some rust stains on my ladder and skimmer.
    How much citric acid should be used for a 16,000 gallon pool with a salt water chlorine generator.
    My plan is to use ascorbic acid to remove the stains and citric acid to chelate.

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like I could skip the ascorbic acid and just use the citric acid.
    Anyways 1.5 to 2 times more than a half to one pound of ascorbic acid per 10,000 gal seems excessive. According to the MSDS pdf for Metal Free, the product contains only 0.5 - 1.5 percent citric acid. And the instructions say to add 32oz (1L) of METALfree per 20,000 gallons. My calculator says .5% to 1.5% of 32 0z = .16 to .48 ounces of pure citric acid.
    I am confused.

5. Back To Top    #5

AA or citric acid in high quantity are used to remove the stains. Metal free is a sequestering agent to prevent the stains from starting. Did you read the article in Pool School about metals?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!