Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

Hello All

Let me start of by setting the stage here, I'm a first time pool owner with a newly resurfaced 13K gal IG fiberglass pool. We are in the process of refilling and I would like to use the BBB method. I'm still reading and learning about the method but its sure seems like the best way to go.

My first question is CYA level... We live in Northern CA and our pool is on the western side of the home with little to no shade so it gets a lot of sun. The guide states 60-80 but what is a good level to start with?
    Thanks,
    ~Staudie

13K, 13'x31' IG Fiberglass, 420sqft cartridge, Intelliflo VS, Built '79 resurfaced '13, Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, start by reading Pool School, specifically these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    and
    pool-school/recommended_levels

Our recommendations are likely different than what you have seen.
    I would suggest with a Northern location and going into winter to just start with a CYA of 30-40ppm at the most ... it is always easy to add more, but difficult to remove it ... this assumes you do not have a SWG that is not mentioned.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome
    Have you obtained a GOOD pool water test kit yet? The TF-100 is my kit of choice. The link to it can be found in my siggy line. Your own testing will always be more reliable than a pool store's. The cost is a pittance compared to the cost of the chemicals people spend on pools if they don't do BBB. I cringe when I see folks leaving the pool store with arm loads of chemicals.

We've had our fiberglass pool for 2 seasons now and have never had algae or any huge problems. Mostly because of the advice folks here gave me when new and asking questions and learning from the "Pool School" articles.

My pool is almost...dare it say it... boring to keep maintained! I've spent so little on chemicals I've been able to splurge on good looking Trex furniture to adorn the pool with and a few other pool toys. You will LOVE the BBB method, trust me on that!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum. Do read the suggested topics from Jason. Ask questions as you need too, we are always glad to help you learn.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been reading the suggestions (a great help by the way) and have ordered a TF100 test kit. I ended up using the pool stores initial testing as a baseline. I did find it odd that the instructions from the store print out didn't follow the instructions on the chemical. The print had me adding more chemical then what was recommended by both the calculator and chemical manufacturer. Ill post my test results once my tester arrives.

Pool store baseline (post fill):
    FAC: 0
    TAC: 0
    CH: 60
    CYA: 0
    TA: 110
    ph: 8.0

Thanks,
    ~Staudie
    Thanks,
    ~Staudie

13K, 13'x31' IG Fiberglass, 420sqft cartridge, Intelliflo VS, Built '79 resurfaced '13, Dolphin Supreme M4

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent! This is one thing we see a lot with pool store advice. Inconsistency from them is very consistent.

Lets see what you find out once you have some good numbers. Congratulations on taking the first steps to have control of your pool. It gets easier and easier from here on out.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem