Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you reuse sand in filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pleak, Texas

Can you reuse sand in filter?

We have a 24' round above ground. 26" sand filter with a 3/4 hp two speed pump. And a salt-water generator.

When we don't use the pool for a week or so - it gets really clear but a fine dust? settles on the bottom. Then when we go swimming, it gets all stirred up and gets cloudy. Greyish-white. Takes several days to settle out even with pump going 24 hours/day.

When I turn on the high speed to use my pool cleaner - more dust/cloudy comes out of the return jet.

So I bought a bag that fits on the return jet and have run it now for a couple of months. Hasn't really helped much, but it does catch a lot of bugs.

So I'm thinking I might have a cracked lateral inside the filter. I'm going to open it up this weekend and see. Once I dump all th sand out, can I reuse it? Or do I need to get new sand? We've had this pool up for about 2 years now.

If I do have to get new sand, can I use the sand sold at Home Depot in the pool section as "pool filter sand" or do I need to get it from the local pool store?

2. Back To Top    #2

Central New York

Re: Can you reuse sand in filter?

IMO....... I would get new sand. As long as you have the filter empty. You can buy the sand anywhere. Just make sure the sand you buy is for swimming pool filters.

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Can you reuse sand in filter?

I'm with Hotrod. You could reuse the sand but... it's cheap enough and getting the sand back in would probably be more trouble and time than it's worth.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)