solar recirculation

Aug 25, 2013
Hello, when my pool was installed the guy explained a method to change some valve settings in order to get the warm water on top of the pool to mix better with the rest. I think the method entailed turning the inlets in the bottom of the pool into outlets. Anyway, would somebody please look at this photo and explain the process? I'm guessing I need to move "return 1" to "solar recirc" but is there anything else as well? Thanks, Nathan

Pool%20Valve%20Positions.jpg

Hi Nathan,
Re-connect with the installer for a refresher if possible. That's the best place to start.

Your set up is much more involved then mine so I can not help you with your settings but just to look at the basics:

Simply changing any circulation configurations will not increase the overall temperature of the pool (no idea what the "solar recirc valve is) , it will just make it more consistent from top to bottom. Some form of heater will be needed to raise the actual average temp.
The warmer water will be on the surface and that water is what goes into the skimmer boxes and taken to the filter. The return jets put that very same (warmer) water into the pool. Most of the return fittings are offset so that by turning them like a screw, they change the direction the water is released into the pool. Turning them so that they are pushing the water downwards will do what you asked about but like I said, will not raise the actual temperature. Also, aiming them downward will lessen their effectiveness to push floating debris to the skimmer boxes.

I know its a incomplete answer but hope it helps a little.

You've got almost the exact same pool as me. Even the labels on the equipment look the same. SE PA by any chance? Anyway, as noted above, return 1 up to solar recirculate and turn the valve under main drain label down. Don't run cleaner when in this mode.

Thanks for the replies. I did email the installer also, and he said "close the main drain valve first, then open the solar recirc all the way". What you said. And I do understand that this doesn't actually heat the water, just mixes up the top and the bottom.

bosox1086 - I'm in NJ but not far from SE PA. It's an A&S Pool, and actually one of the A&S departments I dealt with is in Doylestown, PA.

Thanks All!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.