SLAMMING Question

J

jcar79

I transitioned to the BBB method of pool care about 3 months ago and also purchased TF100 test kit. I went on a business trip last week and neglected to add the appropriate amount of bleach in my pool to account for my time away. Sure enough I came back to some green algae stains. Hence I began the SLAMMING process last Friday. My CYA is 70 and pH was 7.2 so I raised my FC to 30 (target 28). Twice daily I brushed the pool, ran my Tigershark, checked the skimmer, monitored my pump pressure, and tested the FC, adding bleach whenever it dropped below 28. The big mystery for me is that while the pool appears clear I still have the occasional visible green algae stain and when I brush the liner more, what appears to be algae, gets stirred up. I have a sand filter and changed the sand at the beginning of this season. Any ideas as to why I am now going on a week and still having algae issues? Or am I just being impatient? Thanks in advance for your input/advice. This site is truly awesome! -Justin

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What you are seeing could be remnant algae that simply has not been filtered out yet. You could add some DE to your sand filter to speed up the removal process. Here's how: Add DE to a Sand Filter.

I'm not sure what type of pool you have, but there are a couple of other areas to check if they apply to your pool:
  1. Check behind the light fixture(s). This is a favorite place for algae to take refuge since the circulation here is low and you cannot reach it by brushing when it is in place.[/*:m:3n03q3vd]
  2. Check around ladders[/*:m:3n03q3vd]
  3. If you have removable steps, remove them and check around & underneath.[/*:m:3n03q3vd]

A couple of things to help us help you...
  1. Please add the state and nearest city in which you live to your profile. Don’t need specific town, nearest major city is fine. Your climate is important to the advice you receive. By doing this, it will appear in all your posts without you having to enter it each time.[/*:m:3n03q3vd]
  2. Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different. [/*:m:3n03q3vd]
Here's how to do both of the above: Adding location to your profile and pool info to your signature.

Wow, thanks for the quick response and tips! I've added my location and pool info. Oddly there is no ID on my pump. The only info is on the motor which states that it is 1 HP and 1.5 SF. I just had the liner replaced this season. I do have a light and removable ladder. I pulled the ladder and there were no signs of algae but I still scrubbed it down. As for the light, I am a newbie at this, can you simply remove the metal face ring that goes around the light on a vinyl lined pool? Since I am on the tail end of knocking out this problem, I hope, I will put the DE suggestion in my back pocket. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.