Salt water pool suction

Jun 23, 2012
St Pete FL
OK so what has started out as me taking care of one friends pool has now turned into several!!! Which is OK I don't mind, I like being outside and enjoy (most of the time) the work and have learned quite alot.
My problem or question is do salt water pools typically have less suction when using the vac head, then fresh water pools? I would think it depends on the size of pump you have.
I am taking care of 2 salt water pools and am having the hardest time trying to suck the debris and sand out of them. I have tried to adjust valves and mian drains and etc, but still things are not are strong as the other pools. Did not know if there was any corellation. I am going to try and take pics today and post later in case someone has suggtestions on if the valves I am trying to adjust are the correct ones. I also need to see what size pump each pool has.
I know you will ask so here is what info I have on the pools.
15,000 gal pebble tec paper cartridge filter
20,000 gal marcite paper cartridge filter
THANKS

THANKS I didn't think it did but it seemed too coincidental.
They typically have the main drain open, the auto cleaner valve off and the suction valve for return ports on. That leads to little or no suction at all. I now find if I close the main drain, turn the auto cleaner valve on and the suction/return port valve halfway closed I will finally get better suction. Although I have to use the hose and side port for the auto cleaner to vaccum. The regular hose and skimmer return port are the ones with little to no suction. I have tried all kinds of combinations for this but....?
Maybe when I have another chance I will try main drain off, suction valve open, and auto cleaner valve off. I am sure I have tried this at least once but won't hurt to try again so I can use the correct hose.
Any other comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.