Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help converting

1. Back To Top    #1

Help converting

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

All, help. I'm going thru Bacquacil conversion ****.
    I started a month ago, late August. I live in Austin, TX, so based on what I've read that's part of my problem -- I should have waited until it got cooler. Also, I should have gone online sooner instead of depending on the well-meaning yet underinformed dorks at Warehouse Pool.
    Anyway, here are the details: 21,000 gallons, in-ground fiberglass. Came home in late August with pool green again and decided to convert. Sick of paying over $50 a week for Bacquacil.
    I'm going to go salt water as soon as this is resolved.
    Sand filter. About a week and a half into this I changed the sand.
    I've dumped just about everything under the sun into this pool over the past month and it's green. Every time I shock it, with chlorine or non-chlorine shock, it turns green. It's green now.
    The WH Pool folks say there must be some mineral that their friggin test kit does not detect. Help.
    thanks
    paulw112
    22K gal in-ground plaster, Hayward C-1100 cartridge filter, 1.5hp Hayward Super II pump, 3/4hp Pentair booster pump, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to convert a Baquacil pool to chlorine

Welcome to TFP, Paul!

If you read the article Jason linked to above, you'll see that you probably jumped the gun with changing your sand. Green water is normal with a conversion, and it will turn green whenever there is chlorine in the pool until the Baquacil is gone. The fastest way to get there is to maintain 15ppm chlorine constantly. The conversion consumes chlorine fairly quickly, so you need to stay father it pretty regularly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks. I did read the article. How important is the test kit? Also, should I keep dumping chlorine shock in to keep the free chlorine level up? And am I hosed as far as my sand or can it recover?
    22K gal in-ground plaster, Hayward C-1100 cartridge filter, 1.5hp Hayward Super II pump, 3/4hp Pentair booster pump, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Help converting

The Recommended Test Kit is absolutely vital to following the process correctly and then maintaining the pool. Being that you are doing a conversion, I highly advise the TF-100 and likely the XL option as you will run out of regent in the K-2006.

Re-read the article and follow it. You may have to replace the sand again if more goo appears in the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Help converting

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The Recommended Test Kit is absolutely vital to following the process correctly and then maintaining the pool. Being that you are doing a conversion, I highly advise the TF-100 and likely the XL option as you will run out of regent in the K-2006.

Re-read the article and follow it. You may have to replace the sand again if more goo appears in the filter.
    While I am no expert, based on my current experiences, I am emphatically shaking my head in agreement to this..
    20K gal, IG vinyl, Waterfall on 2nd pump (1HP US Motor), Dolphin cleaning system, Central Arkansas, installed 1999
    1HP Emerson (main pump), Purex Triton II (TR 60) Sand Filter (replaced original 2016), Purex Triton Mini Max Plus 250 Heater (unused for several years)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by paulw112
    thanks. I did read the article. How important is the test kit? Also, should I keep dumping chlorine shock in to keep the free chlorine level up? And am I hosed as far as my sand or can it recover?
    What kind of chlorine are you using?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!