New to me pool in Terre Haute, IN

Sep 1, 2013
Terre Haute, IN
I have been lurking here for about a month reading up at pool school and about everyone experiences
I just closed on my new house with pool in Terre Haute.
Its a 33k gal IG vinyl liner (picture from listing below, will post better picture in the proper section when I have a decent one)
Sand filter (looks pretty big, I don't know the size)
Hayward Chlorinator
Natural Gas Heater
2 skimmers
2 returns
1 main drain
1 vacuum line
diving board
Has a vacuum they call Barricuda?
Comes with all the goodies: brushes, hoses, cover, blower, 2 cover pumps, blah, blah, oh and pucks, loads of pucks.

Previous owner has been using pucks since new. He showed me the test kit he uses.
Its in a blue box about six inches wide and tests Cl, pH and alkalinity. I could not tell which kit it was.
Current FC looks to be 5ppm just watching over his shoulder, but this was the max of the test.
pH 7.2
TA 180
Water looks Awesome right now.

I ordered a TF Test Kit last night.
Obviously I expect the CYA to be through the roof right now.
I am thinking I am going to continue with pucks until I close the pool as we are at the end of the season here, and I have to leave the country for a bit.
I plan to get a handle on CYA and everything else next spring, then dump the pucks and go to Bleach and/or liquid chlorine

The previous owner walked me through everything last night.
He even took the time to type up 3 pages of instructions on closing the pool. I think 70 steps of things to do.
He was a super nice guy so I didn't have the heart to ask where I could return the 50 POUNDS of pucks in a sealed container that he left me.
He even has all the switches labeled that operate the pool lights and deck lights, and a few fountains around the yard.
And left me the grill and fire pit that are already plumbed into the natural gas.
I think I will use the pucks to keep the water fountains clean. Nothing to dump them and start over

Anyways enough of my rambling :blah: :blah: :blah:
I am going to keep this pool open as long as I can and maybe close when water temp stays under 60
Try to enjoy my new backyard paradise as long as possible before winter sets in :cheers:

Anyways thanks guys for a site where guys that have zero pool experience can turn to find the truth on keeping a pool sparkling

Just realized I need to add a signature after I get done with this post.

Oops forgot to add picture :hammer:

null_zps5388168a.jpg

Wow! Very nice backyard!

Welcome to TFP.

I'm a couple of counties SE of you. My pool generally loses all of its CYA over the winter. You'll make good use of those pucks early in the year and during vacations. Just keep them dry.

My pool is at 84 with solar heat, but I doubt it will stay swimmable after the middle of next week with the cooler weather in the forecast.

Very nice pool!

I had a Baracuda G3 for a while. As far as suction side cleaners go, they are top notch. Wearable parts like the fin disk and such are cheap and easy to replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.