Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to me pool in Terre Haute, IN

1. Back To Top    #1

New to me pool in Terre Haute, IN

I have been lurking here for about a month reading up at pool school and about everyone experiences
    I just closed on my new house with pool in Terre Haute.
    Its a 33k gal IG vinyl liner (picture from listing below, will post better picture in the proper section when I have a decent one)
    Sand filter (looks pretty big, I don't know the size)
    Hayward Chlorinator
    Natural Gas Heater
    2 skimmers
    2 returns
    1 main drain
    1 vacuum line
    diving board
    Has a vacuum they call Barricuda?
    Comes with all the goodies: brushes, hoses, cover, blower, 2 cover pumps, blah, blah, oh and pucks, loads of pucks.

Previous owner has been using pucks since new. He showed me the test kit he uses.
    Its in a blue box about six inches wide and tests Cl, pH and alkalinity. I could not tell which kit it was.
    Current FC looks to be 5ppm just watching over his shoulder, but this was the max of the test.
    pH 7.2
    TA 180
    Water looks Awesome right now.

I ordered a TF Test Kit last night.
    Obviously I expect the CYA to be through the roof right now.
    I am thinking I am going to continue with pucks until I close the pool as we are at the end of the season here, and I have to leave the country for a bit.
    I plan to get a handle on CYA and everything else next spring, then dump the pucks and go to Bleach and/or liquid chlorine

The previous owner walked me through everything last night.
    He even took the time to type up 3 pages of instructions on closing the pool. I think 70 steps of things to do.
    He was a super nice guy so I didn't have the heart to ask where I could return the 50 POUNDS of pucks in a sealed container that he left me.
    He even has all the switches labeled that operate the pool lights and deck lights, and a few fountains around the yard.
    And left me the grill and fire pit that are already plumbed into the natural gas.
    I think I will use the pucks to keep the water fountains clean. Nothing to dump them and start over

Anyways enough of my rambling
    I am going to keep this pool open as long as I can and maybe close when water temp stays under 60
    Try to enjoy my new backyard paradise as long as possible before winter sets in

Anyways thanks guys for a site where guys that have zero pool experience can turn to find the truth on keeping a pool sparkling

Just realized I need to add a signature after I get done with this post.
    33,000 gal Inground Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Sand Filter
    2 skimmers
    2 returns
    1 vacuum line
    1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to me pool in Terre Haute, IN

Oops forgot to add picture

Hayward Sand Filter
    2 skimmers
    2 returns
    1 vacuum line
    1 main drain

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! Very nice backyard!

Welcome to TFP.

I'm a couple of counties SE of you. My pool generally loses all of its CYA over the winter. You'll make good use of those pucks early in the year and during vacations. Just keep them dry.

My pool is at 84 with solar heat, but I doubt it will stay swimmable after the middle of next week with the cooler weather in the forecast.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, aldrichg9

Quote Originally Posted by aldrichg9
    I ordered a TF Test Kit last night.

It will be interesting to see your cya results when you get your kit.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice pool!

I had a Baracuda G3 for a while. As far as suction side cleaners go, they are top notch. Wearable parts like the fin disk and such are cheap and easy to replace.

6. Back To Top    #6

The tough part of this is - I am at indianapolis airport waiting to fly to Costa Rica
    When I have a new pool waiting on me.

Probably be cold when I get home....
    Hayward Sand Filter
    2 skimmers
    2 returns
    1 vacuum line
    1 main drain