Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: petroleum jelly on pump gaskets?

1. Back To Top    #1

petroleum jelly on pump gaskets?

So, looking in the manual about storage of the Krystal Clear 635T, and it said to coat the gaskets in petroleum jelly and store in an airtight plastic bag.

1) Isn't petroleum jelly rough on rubber products?

2) Isn't that going to be nasty getting off the gaskets next season?

3) Would something water-soluble like K-Y jelly be a better substitute?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: petroleum jelly on pump gaskets?

You should only use silicon grease (e.g. pool lube) on o-rings and gaskets.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Like Mark said, use silicone grease (not silicone adhesive) on rubber parts, not all rubber is the same though, most common O-rings are now made from Buna-N rubber, and it is possible, but somewhat unlikely that the O-rings used supplied with your 635T are made of a material that is more resistant like Nitrile, these however cost about 5-10 times the price of more common
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

do NOT use petroleum based products..it'll slowly eat away at the o rings and gaskets. As mas985 said....get some pool lube.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Will my local pool store probably have this stuff, or do I need to look online?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool stores have it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool stores have it, but around here they sell you a miserable little 2oz. tube for a ridiculous price. I went with this deal on Amazon, which is 2 - 5oz. tubes for $12.48 with free shipping. So compare before you buy.

http://www.amazon.com/PACK-Aladdin-T...ords=magiclube

Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

8. Back To Top    #8

I thought we should use silicon only ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

9. Back To Top    #9

Silicone lube is the best solution. Magic Lube II is silicone based lube. Regular Magic Lube is Teflon based. I find that Teflon based lubes tend to gum up and makes things sticky and hard to work with.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the information folks! If I get a chance, I'll go by the pool store tomorrow.

11. Back To Top    #11

Grrr. I went to the pool store. The only lube they had was Magic Lube. No "silicone" or "teflon" mentioned anywhere on the ingredients, packaging or the display box. I brought it home to look up what "PTFE" is, and it turns out it's teflon.

Is it really worth the gas and hassle of taking this back and finding silicone-based stuff at the hardware store?

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't like teflon based lube. You will probably need to go online to find silicone lube. Boss 820 is a good lube for a good price.

13. Back To Top    #13

I get my silicon lube at Home Depot in the plumbing Dept. It is sometimes called plumber's grease by those in the trade. It is usually food grade rated since it can be used on the O-rings for water faucets or scuba gear. A small 50 cent piece sized tub should only be $4-$5. Dow Corning also sells a food grade silicon grease in a tube.

Here is one possibility:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/McNett-M-Essent ... 1c35849ded
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yeah, I just got back from Lowe's, and picked up some Oatey Silicone Grease. It was only $3.33 for 1/2 an ounce.

I'll take the teflon stuff back tomorrow.