Question about Polyquat 60 during ascorbic acid treatment

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
I have read the Ascorbic Acid article in Pool School and I have also read the long 7 page thread (which is now closed) laying out the steps to perform this treatment. So no need to direct me there.
My confusion is: When I lower the FC level to near 0 so the Ascorbic acid doesn't get eaten up, the instructions calls for adding Polyquat 60 to prevent algae growth during this period of no chlorine levels. I get that. But it doesn't state how long I can let it go like this for. Will the Poly 60 protect me for a day, a week? etc?
The idea of letting my Chlorine go to zero concerns me. Now I am in NJ and plan on closing pool in a few weeks anyway. But I understand an effective AA treatment can take anywhere from a few days to a a week to work. And then I have to SLOWLY - not shock the pool back to proper FC levels. So that could take another week or so.

So will the initial Poly 60 treatment be enough to last this whole time? Or should I continue adding Poly 60 on a "maintenence basis" while my FC is zero?

FYI, the reason I am considering doing this is to once and for all try to rid an area in the deepest part of the pool of a stubborn stain that has been there for a few seasons.

Note to moderator: I put this in the Algae section because of the questions regarding Polyquat 60. If you feel it belongs elsewhere, please move to appropriate place. Thanks, Mike

Re: Question about Polyquat 60 during ascorbic acid treatmen

Without any chlorine in the pool the polyquat will last a pretty god while. I would add a maintenance dose after about two weeks. I'd probably dose it pretty heavily just to make sure you have it covered.

That's along the lines I was thinking.... To heavy dose. And I hope it doesn't take me longer than 2 weeks to complete this task.... And one more question. FC right now is probably about 5.0. Should I add the Polyquat 60 now and wait for FC to drop? Or let FC drop and then add the Polyquat 60?

I would add the polyquat now and then let the FC drop. You don't want the FC to get low enough that algae could start growing without some protection in the water.

Technically with Polyquat you are supposed to dose once a week. It doesn't go completely away after one week, but it is lower in concentration such that a maintenance dose (per bottle instructions) is required. Chlorine slowly oxidizes it and it is also a clarifier so gets caught in the filter when it combines with particles in your pool that can be removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.