Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does anyone here have the rectangle shaped Intex pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does anyone here have the rectangle shaped Intex pool?

In looking over recent closing and other posts it looks like the majority of folks own the round Intex pools.

I have some questions specific to the rectangle pool but Intex. Is there anyone here who has one? Are you taking it down for the winter or leaving it up. If you are leaving it up are you covering it?

Diane[attachment=0:2jen5qt0]pool.jpg[/attachment:2jen5qt0]
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does anyone here have the rectangle shaped Intex pool?

Lots of folks do: www.troublefreepool.com&spell=1]tfp google search on "rectangular intex"[/url] (site google search is at upper right just above the pool school link).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes but both my posts about closing a rectangle pool have been answered by those with round pools or not answered at all. The google searching I've done within and outisde tfp I've never seen a response from someone with a rectangle pool that kept it up during the winter ....did I miss it?

With the sloping side of the rectangle pool I want to understand what others have done. First year my Intex supplied cover was ripped off by the wind within the first few months. Next year we took it down to fix a side issue. I would like to know what others have done who have this same pool.
    Diane

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry about that

I agree, there appears to be very little info directly discussing winterizing a rectangular intex, I have done a little searching myself now and have not found much yet...hopefully in the meantime someone with one speaks up
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

We have a rectangular intex and leave it up during the winter. No problems. Add the closing kit chemicals and run filter for 24 hours to mix. Drain the pool below the lowest filter return hole thru liner. I bought the pool pillows and literally filled the whole pool area with pillows so that when you put the cover on its level with the top rim of the pool. Cover the pool making sure you drop the bromine floater in that came with the closing kit. It will keep the water clear all winter. We used bungees and gallon water bottles and concrete blocks to hold the cover in place. We have a cover pump that removes water from top of cover as needed. We open in early April. Throw salt in and it's crystal clear. Don't freak when you see the sides of the pool lean it. It does that but it'll straighten out in the spring. Main thing is to keep water off the top of the cover so there's not a ton of weight pulling the cover into the pool. Worked like a charm!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyAbbott
    Cover the pool making sure you drop the bromine floater in that came with the closing kit.
    Is your pool intentionally a bromine pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope. We are salt water but the closing kit includes a bromine float to get it thru winter. Thats the only time I add anything other than salt or cya . Salt pool is the best thing ever. I can't recommend it enough!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

8. Back To Top    #8

What cover do you use? Our intex cover was killed by the winter wind the first year. How do you attach it? I've looked at covers and wonder what size to get our pool--- per Intex is 16x32 do I need to get something bigger so that it fits?
    Diane

9. Back To Top    #9

But an oval heVy duty cover. Not the leaf cover. Get one larger than your pool so the cover hangs down the sides to keep dirt and debris out of the water. They're like 50 bucks at intheswim. Worth the $$

10. Back To Top    #10

what type of cover did you use? Was it the original one with the holes in it?
    intex ultra frame agp 9x18x52'' ,1050gph sand filter + saltwater generator , redwood deck

11. Back To Top    #11

There's a guy on YouTube that has covered his twice now for the winter and recorded his steps. He lives in Wisconsin. It's worth looking into if you have a free moment.
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

12. Back To Top    #12

I would avoid using bromine tabs. Bromide (used up bromine) hangs around for a long time and can interfere with chlorine being stabilized in the future. For closing chemicals, instead use TFP's guide to closing for above grounds: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

13. Back To Top    #13

THe original one we lost due to the wind in the first year we owned the pool. Since then we buy a very large tarp from Harbor Freight (new one every year). We have screwed eye hooks around the pool into the rail road ties that surround the pool. We wrap the pool like a present as it is in a high wind area. We also lace the top of the pool with rope going across the pool to form a grid. This helps keep the "Jiffy Pop Popcorn top" from blowing up and off the pool. This year where the rope touches the edge of the pool we put duct tape under the rope and also a piece to keep the rope from sawing on the tarp. We've had 50 MPH winds this fall and just had a weekend ice storm and the pool had no issues.
    Diane