Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thin layer of white granules floating on pool surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Thin layer of white granules floating on pool surface

Just this afternoon I noticed this, a thin surface of white granules floating on top of my pool, ran the tests with TF100

PH - 7.5
    FC - 7
    CC - 2.5
    TA - 80
    CYA - 40
    Calc Hard - 300

What should I do, I am consistently maintaining high chlorine levels to get rid of algae issues, I will be shocking the pool during First week of October, as every weekend I need to spend away from my home.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thin layer of white granules floating on pool surface

I'm not sure what the stuff floating on the surface is.
    If you've been fighting algae issues and with a CC of 2.5 it sounds like you need to SLAM the pool. pool-school/shocking_your_pool. You have to follow the process to the T. Your done SLAMing when
    1 water is crystal clear.
    2 CC of 0.5 or less
    3 you pass the OCLT pool-school/overnight_fc_test.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Are you sure they are granules and not maybe pollen from trees? Any pictures of it?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

Some granulated chlorine products can sit atop the water in certain amounts long after being added. Did you add any powders or granules to your pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Some granulated chlorine products can sit atop the water in certain amounts long after being added. Did you add any powders or granules to your pool?
    I moved to BBB method around 10 days back, yes before BBB, I use tablet form of chlorine and I used some granulated chlorine to shock the pool once, but that was around 10 to 12 days back. Right now I am maintaining my FC close to 7 - 9 ppm and CC at 3 ppm, I will be slamming my pool only after October 2 due to my travel oriented job. Lot of black/yellow algae already gone( Myself and wife brushing twice daily). Is there a concern to maintain the FC at this high level for almost 2 weeks?
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

6. Back To Top    #6
    7-9 ppm of FC is not a high level for your CYA level. In fact 7 ppm is a good place to be. Your SLAM level is 16 ppm. You can swim in anything up to SLAM level.

When you get the time SLAM it. Any questions just ask.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.