Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing a Polaris 360

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing a Polaris 360

It's time. My 360 is almost 6 years old and is on it's last leg...er, wheel. I was never really impressed with the 360 and I have heard some good things about the Legend II. However, I have a few questions about the proper setup of these non-booster pump cleaners.

First, a little insight...when I bought this house almost 6 years ago, the cleaner didn't work. As part of the conatract, I stipulated that the cleaner needed to be replaced. I didn't know jack about pools then. The previous owner replaced the cleaner as requested. Well, after some time getting to know my pool, I realized that the reason there was no working cleaner was because the booster pump was shot. Rather than replace the booster and the cleaner, he bought a 360 that didn't require a booster pump and just plugged it into one of the returns.

Now, to my question. First, do these non-booster cleaners require a dedicated return or do they function just as well on any return? I have heard both ways, but if they require a dedicated return, that might explain why I have never really been pleased with the performance of my 360. Second, do you feel one is better than the other (360 vs. Legend II)?
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing a Polaris 360

Quote Originally Posted by h2o
    Now, to my question. First, do these non-booster cleaners require a dedicated return or do they function just as well on any return?
    I have a dedicated cleaner return line for my Polaris 360 and it works fine. This is the recommended setup. However, you can run a Polaris 360 on any return line but you may have to install eyeball fittings with smaller openings on the other return lines to help ensure the Polaris 360 gets enough pressure.

I have never used the Legend II so I cannot compare it to the Polaris 360. Someone else will have to weigh in on that.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacing a Polaris 360

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    you may have to install eyeball fittings with smaller openings on the other return lines to help ensure the Polaris 360 gets enough pressure.
    This is exactly what I had to do. I have 6 returns and I had to plug two of them completely and put eyeball fitting in the others.

Theoretically, could I not use bypass the non-funtional booster pump and use the old dedicated return line to power the 360, or would it get too much pressure this way? If I remember correctly, this is a 3/4" return line.
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360