First time winterizing pool

Jun 14, 2013
This will be my first closing and have been studying the how to's. I'm now focusing on making sure I understand how to properly clear lines of water and am looking for this site to confirm that I'm on the right page.

I am planning to drain water to a couple inches below returns. Since my skimmer and returns won't be under water, can I then take the air compressor and blow out skimmer from the skimmer side? And can I stick compressor hose in each return line and blow?
Or, is it best to plug compressor into pump basket and blow out from pump to skimmer/return? I guess I'm also confused on how the air will make it from the pump, through the sand filter to the returns. I imagine I'll need to blow air from the pump to the main drain. How do you isolate the main drain? I thought as a safeguard, isolating the main drain isn't allowed.

Sorry for my confusion. Part of the problem is that of the 3 plumbing control valves, I've only been able to determine that closing 2 of the 3 valves isolates one of the two skimmers for vaccuming. Ohterwise, I don't see a difference when I have the 3rd valve open or closed.

Thanks!

I disconnect everything at the equipment side and blow towards the pool.

Blow main drain until you see a strong flow of bubbles.... close the valve and create an air lock.... i always plug the pipe too just in case the valve fails or leaks a little air.

Blow out the skimmer .... i use a "gizmo" that gets up above the water level .... then plug that.

Blow out the returns ..... cap the first one and the second bubbles... cap it and the next one bubbles etc ..... do that until all return lines are blown out.

Disconnect the pump, drain the filter etc ...... just make sure there is no water in anything that will be outside :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.