Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Surprised when adding anti-freeze to return line

1. Back To Top    #1

Surprised when adding anti-freeze to return line

Thanks to the great feedback I received on another thread in the Pumping Station, I was able to solve the problem of accessing my Polaris return line to add anti-freeze. However, I got some unexpected results and want to see if anyone else experience this.

After blowing out the lines, they were wet capped after bubbling for about a minute. When adding anti-freeze to my Polaris return, I was surprised when after only 2 gallons, it started backing up and coming back out at me. I calculated that the line, which is approx. 45 feet, should hold at least 4 gallons. So I stopped adding and went out about an hour later and was able to add more anti-freeze to the line.

I'm guessing some sort of air pocket that somehow relieved itself over time was causing this. Does this explanation make sense? Of course, I was concerned the return had water in it (2 gallons) but the fact that an hour later I could add more anti-freeze led me believe it was air.

Anyone experienced this before?
    TF-100 Test kit, 24,000 gal. free form Vinyl. mybluepool AC-600 SWG, STA-RITE S7MD60 DE filter, 3/4 HP STA-RITE MPRA6D pump, Polaris 280 w/booster, Raypack Propane heater, Looplock mesh cover; All located in New England.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Surprised when adding anti-freeze to return line

Depending on how the plumbing is ran it certainly could have air locked and then slowly relieved itself. I wouldn't be concerned at all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit