New Pool Owner - Close pool or leave open

I'd say the question you have to ask is - what is the chance of a prolonged deep freeze and loosing power at the same time? If you get both you could be looking at equipment damage. Otherwise, your choice is the cost of keeping it open (pump time, getting leaves out etc) vs the cost of buying a cover for it.

If you have a freeze guard on your timer and don't expect problems from lotsa debris getting in the pool, you can probably stay open. Either way really.

I am like the others, for the most part you should be ok in GA, unless you happen to live in one of the higher elevation points in the north part of the state where the ground may freeze to some depth. I would say as a rule of thumb that if ponds don't freeze over where you live you should be fine staying open.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
I'm a new pool owner in Georgia.
Not singling you out. A common problem on this forum is not identifying your location accurately. The advice for Jekyl Island, GA would be different than the advice for somewhere up around Toccoa. The climates and LOW temps are quite variable. City and State is very helpful.

Location is around Augusta, GA, mid-eastern Georgia. I do not have any trees in my backyard, however my neighbors do. The pool is 16x32, Pentair Water Sand Filter and Pentair Water Automation Easy Touch 8 and 4 Pool and Spa Control System. One question I have, if I cover it, do I do anything to it during the winter months and what will it look like when I uncover it.

That climate is quite similar to mine. The coice will always be yours but you could experiment by leaving it open.....that's the simplest.

Leaving it open you basically do nothing and treat the pool just like swim season. About the only real change is that you'll have some extra leaves to net out and you will want to run the pump overnight if the temp gets below about 30.

If you try that this winter and end up not liking it, then switch to a cover for next season.

Predicting what it will look like next Spring if you cover just has too many variables to be certain. Many people report closing properly and opening to a clear pool next Spring. Others have less successful results.

For what it's worth, I leave mine open.

Welcome, fellow near Augusta-ite. Grovetown myself. I too am debating whether I should leave it open or cover it. I guess I will track my chlorine usage and determine what is more cost-effective. OTOH, if it is open, the chances for alcohol induced winter swims will increase!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad to find this thread as I am trying to figure out what to do, I am in Atlanta, figure I will just treat it as I do during summer, empty skimmer daily and keep leaves off bottom

Concern is if we were to have a deep freeze and loss of power I would need to keep pump running, it is hard wired to the control panel however I think I still have the power cord I could plug into a generator

If I dont like will get cover for next year and close the pool, don't think my 3 month old concrete is OK to drill for anchors

When the Columbia County inspector came out during our construction 2 years ago, he mentioned that *in his opinion* he felt leaving the pool open year round was a lot easier than closing and opening it seasonally.

I have a auto cover so we avoid most of the debris issue (not all) and ran the pump for about 4 hours with the SWG on winter mode last winter. Its nice to open the pool up every few days even during the winter and just enjoy looking at it from the house.

IF we were to get a wicked cold snap, I guess I'd crank up the pump and keep it moving around the clock. I'll cross that bridge when and if it happens- its so unlikely thankfully!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.