Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM and Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM and Ph

I am on the downhill side of my first SLAM. At what point do I start adjusting the pH. Will high FC levels give a false pH reading?
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: SLAM and Ph

From the SLAM article in Pool School...
    The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.
    It will be reliable again when your FC drifts below 10ppm so complete the SLAM and let FC drift down to maintenance level, then test and adjust (if necessary) pH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I saw that in the Pool School but did not know how low FC had to be. If my FC/CYA ratio calls for FC to be between 7-12 due to high CYA level (90) should I keep FC below 10 so pH will be accurate? I do plan to drain in a few months to get CYA down.
    18,500 gunite/pebble plaster, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Jandy 2hp variable pump, cart. filter, ozone system, in-line-chlorinator(not in use), borates, Polaris 9400

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Simply check your pH when you know your FC will be below 10. FC should be tested just about daily when you first start. pH is fine testing every 3 days or so and will get longer apart as you learn the rhythm of your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Dave.