Replacing a Hayward AquaRite Generator Cell

mpride

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2008
Sugar Land Texas
I need to replace my chlorine generator but I need to verify the model number of the one I need to purchase. I have sent an email to Hayward but haven't heard back yet.

My current one shows to be a t-cell-5 via the aqua plus control panel. The firmware revision on the controller is 3.00. Does anyone know what model number cell I need to purchase? If not, do you have any ideas about where I can get a definitive answer?

Is the GLX-CELL-5 the replacement?

How old is the setup? I think all the Aqua Plus units allow you to set the cell size, so technically you get get any of them.

We recommend sizing the cell 1.5-3 times the size of your pool ... so at least the 15k cell (T-cell-3), but I might go with the 25k cell (T-cell-9).

I do not see the T-cell-5 listed anymore, which I think was a 20k cell.

jblizzle said:
How old is the setup? I think all the Aqua Plus units allow you to set the cell size, so technically you get get any of them.

We recommend sizing the cell 1.5-3 times the size of your pool ... so at least the 15k cell (T-cell-3), but I might go with the 25k cell (T-cell-9).

I do not see the T-cell-5 listed anymore, which I think was a 20k cell.

My pool was built in 2009. According to the information I've seen online the t-cell-3 and t-cell-9 are not compatible with my controller because the firmware is too old. I'm not sure if thats all accurate or not.

Hmmm ... the switch in software happened around 2008, so I guess it is possible you have an older controller. But, I keep seeing software numbers in the 1.X as the cutoff and you say you have SW 3.00? Although that is for the Aquarite ... so maybe the numbering is different for the AquaPlus / ProLogic units. I will keep looking.

Do you have an AquaRite or an AquaPlus? Assuming the latter, it does look like you need revision 4.1 or later to use the -3 or the -9

What I am not clear on is whether your unit will work with either the -5 or the -15 ... I think this is the case and if you can still find the -5 (not listed by Hayward anymore) it should work.

This seems to agree that you could use the -5 or the -15:
aquarite-which-cell-to-purchase-t-cell-5-with-v1-4-t45272.html#p368712
The -15 would need to be run on a lower setting, which should allow it to last longer ... depends on the price difference you see I suppose.

jblizzle said:
Do you have an AquaRite or an AquaPlus? Assuming the latter, it does look like you need revision 4.1 or later to use the -3 or the -9

What I am not clear on is whether your unit will work with either the -5 or the -15 ... I think this is the case and if you can still find the -5 (not listed by Hayward anymore) it should work.

Yeah, its the AquaPlus controller.

Ok. I replace my cell with a glx-cell-5. My old cell had been slowly going bad and reporting lower and lower salt levels even though the salt level was fine. I replaced the cell this past Friday evening. I checked the salt level and it's at 3300ppm which is very close to the previous optimum readings. I turned everything on and checked the controller and it had the following 3 errors:

Chlorinator Off - High Salt/Amp
Check System - High Salt/Amp
Check System - Very Low Salt

I'm a little confused by the errors. I thought I would let the system run for a few days and see if it normalized. I checked today and still have the same 3 errors. Is there something I need to reset on the controller? Is the cell bad? Am I nuts (probably but....)?

I have no idea how you can have a low salt and high salt error at the same time.
You can try hitting the "+" button while the error is displayed to see if it goes away.
Are you able to set the cell size in the settings?

jblizzle said:
I have no idea how you can have a low salt and high salt error at the same time.
You can try hitting the "+" button while the error is displayed to see if it goes away.
Are you able to set the cell size in the settings?

Yeah. Just a bit confusing. I just tried your suggestion with no change. The cell is set to T-cell-5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.