Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After testing, what do you do with your reageants?

1. Back To Top    #1

After testing, what do you do with your reageants?

After testing my water everytime, I come to the same stumbling question; what should I now do with this solution I'm holding? With all the warnings on the bottle, I'm not sure what the right thing to do is?

I generally spill it out behind a bench in my yard that has a dry well drain behind it. My neighbor throws it in the grass. Can we dump it back in the pool? I'm sure none of these are the eco friendly method of disposing used regeants.

Anyone got a better method?
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After testing, what do you do with your reageants?

Craig...Sounds like you are doing fine. I dump it down the drain if I check inside and run enough water to push it through the sink trap. If outside I just dump it over the fence in the grass and wash out the tester in the pool water.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

3. Back To Top    #3

Down the drain is fine. Just don't dump it in the pool. The small amount that you are adding to the wastewater is FAR FAR less than the amount of contaminated water from one load of washing clothes or one shower!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Down the drain is fine. Just don't dump it in the pool. The small amount that you are adding to the wastewater is FAR FAR less than the amount of contaminated water from one load of washing clothes or one shower!

Why not dump it back in the pool? Seems insignificant. Been doing it for a few weeks of testing -oops. What's the down side?

Thanks,

Dan
    28K Gal. 802 Sq Ft., Free Form, IG, Gunnite with Midnight Maui Hydrazzo Carlton Pool. Exposed Aggregate Decking. Jandy DE Filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Pump, SWCG. Zodiac 380 pressure-side cleaner. Completed Construction: May 2008.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you dump enough pH test chemicals into the pool, maybe you can check pH just by looking at the water color...
    Currrent pool under construction: DIY Kafko steel/vinyl IG 26kgal 20x40 Kidney, sand filter, Triac spillover spa, Aqua Logic SWG
    Previous pool: IG vinyl 20x40 rectangle. Made all the mistakes - now reformed (mostly)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dfiletti
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear

Why not dump it back in the pool? Seems insignificant. Been doing it for a few weeks of testing -oops. What's the down side?

Thanks,

Dan
    Hi Dan, welcome to TFP! If for no other reason, I don't dump the tests back into the water because of possible interference. (as an experiment you can dump the pH test into a container and then the TA test in too - both tests are ~red as the endpoint, but the water in the container from red + red will = green (the starting point for the TA test))

I just carry a small container (a DE scoop as a matter of fact) and dump the test water into that and find a discrete place to dump it when I'm done. (please note, I'm doing the testing in customers yards and I don't want them to 'freak out' about my dumping chems all over the place 8) )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, the some of the reagents can add to your chlorine demand. Why add anything additional that your chlorine needs to oxidize.