Scum slick on pool surface

DSdiver

Silver Supporter
Sep 12, 2013
South Eastern Wisconsin
Hi all I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi and ask a question. We put our pool in last year fall and are getting ready to winterized it soon. Had a great year swimming and learning about pool upkeep. We had good success with the first few weeks of swimming and then went through an array of water issues. After some trial and error we found we didn't have enough stabilizer in the pool water is crystal clear now and all the test are right were this forum says they should be. But at some time over the summer we got some type of scum on our auto cover( underside) at first we thought it was the water but we found that after 30 min or so the scum was gone for the day, if we leave the cover open it doesn't come back and as soon as we close it then open it right back up there it is. I'm not sure how to get this cleared up. I have tried to use enzymes and leave the cover closed a couple of days but still have the same problem. I also shocked the pool with a Super chlorinate and granular to bump the chlorine up and left the cover closed for a couple of days no go. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

Welcome to TFP, Mike!

Tell us about your water chemistry and what chemicals you use in the pool. Also, do swimmers regularly wear sunscreen?

I have been using all Natural chemistry product I have a monthly maintain ex kit I use which contains 1 bottle of liquid saltwater magic and 1 bottle of cell protect the box says it treats up to 20'000 gallos and I believe this was one the issue we had this summer because we have about 34,100 gallon. I also started using natural chemistry pool perfect enzyme to try and treat the above scum issue. The only other product we used was about 8 lbs of GBL? Stabilizer when we found out we had none in the pool.
Chemistry as of 5 min ago?( we have been using strips but I plan on getting a proper kit for next year)
Total hardness 400 ppm
Total chlorine 4ppm
Free chlorine 4ppm
PH is 7.7
Total alkalinity 150ppm little high
Cyanuric Acid is 70 ppm

As you continue to read more on the forum, you will find that insufficient chlorine is the most common issue....by far.

Your chlorine is insufficient for a CYA of 70 (5-8 ppm) Tossing in all the other pool store stuff usually doesn't work but chlorine always does.

The second issue is really inaccurate testing. The "guess" strips are often very incorrect so you could easily be further away from the ranges we suggest.

Chlorine will fix that problem. Because of the use of strips, it is very difficult to suggest a correct dosage because we need good test results and the strips usually do not provide that.

You are going to have to decide if you truly want our advise and to follow our methods or not.
If so, you need to get one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop blindly putting chemicals in.

What chlorine powder did you use? Do you realize it added either calcium or more stabilizer ... which may or may not have been a good thing? What was your target FC level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, great that you ordered a kit, sorry if I missed that.

The chlorine bump was certainly the right idea ... although the source of the chlorine may have been a problem and you should have used PoolMath to determine the appropriate amount of chlorine to add. Generally liquid chlorine / bleach is the best source of chlorine that does not have the side-effects of the others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.