Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scum slick on pool surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Scum slick on pool surface

Hi all I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi and ask a question. We put our pool in last year fall and are getting ready to winterized it soon. Had a great year swimming and learning about pool upkeep. We had good success with the first few weeks of swimming and then went through an array of water issues. After some trial and error we found we didn't have enough stabilizer in the pool water is crystal clear now and all the test are right were this forum says they should be. But at some time over the summer we got some type of scum on our auto cover( underside) at first we thought it was the water but we found that after 30 min or so the scum was gone for the day, if we leave the cover open it doesn't come back and as soon as we close it then open it right back up there it is. I'm not sure how to get this cleared up. I have tried to use enzymes and leave the cover closed a couple of days but still have the same problem. I also shocked the pool with a Super chlorinate and granular to bump the chlorine up and left the cover closed for a couple of days no go. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scum slick on pool surface

Welcome to TFP, Mike!

Tell us about your water chemistry and what chemicals you use in the pool. Also, do swimmers regularly wear sunscreen?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been using all Natural chemistry product I have a monthly maintain ex kit I use which contains 1 bottle of liquid saltwater magic and 1 bottle of cell protect the box says it treats up to 20'000 gallos and I believe this was one the issue we had this summer because we have about 34,100 gallon. I also started using natural chemistry pool perfect enzyme to try and treat the above scum issue. The only other product we used was about 8 lbs of GBL? Stabilizer when we found out we had none in the pool.
    Chemistry as of 5 min ago?( we have been using strips but I plan on getting a proper kit for next year)
    Total hardness 400 ppm
    Total chlorine 4ppm
    Free chlorine 4ppm
    PH is 7.7
    Total alkalinity 150ppm little high
    Cyanuric Acid is 70 ppm
    20x40 IG vinyl lined 34,100 gallon/Hayward filter EcoStar model SP 3400 VSP/Hayward filter(sand) model S310T2 flow rate 98GPM/RayPack gas heater model 266 266,000BTU/Aqua Plus Automation and chlorination with Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell-15/Hayward universal color logic light/ Delta UV filter/4 return lines 2 skimmers and dual main drains/Auto cover/ Pool is 3 years old. TFT test kit XL speedstir.

4. Back To Top    #4

And to answer the sunscreen question yes we had been using allot of sunscreen but started to cut back and make the kids sit the allotted time before swimming( they didn't care for that) after we noticed the slick started

5. Back To Top    #5

Haven't gotten any response on this can anyone help?.

6. Back To Top    #6

You still have the film on the water?

Post a new set of test results and how you got them?

What all have you tried in order to get rid of the film?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

As you continue to read more on the forum, you will find that insufficient chlorine is the most common issue....by far.

Your chlorine is insufficient for a CYA of 70 (5-8 ppm) Tossing in all the other pool store stuff usually doesn't work but chlorine always does.

The second issue is really inaccurate testing. The "guess" strips are often very incorrect so you could easily be further away from the ranges we suggest.

Chlorine will fix that problem. Because of the use of strips, it is very difficult to suggest a correct dosage because we need good test results and the strips usually do not provide that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The test results are the same except I put 4 lbs of granulated
    Chlorine in to try and kill the scum so that is now about 10
    Ppm. Still using the strips but the scum is less since I put in the extra
    Chlorine

9. Back To Top    #9

You are going to have to decide if you truly want our advise and to follow our methods or not.
    If so, you need to get one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop blindly putting chemicals in.

What chlorine powder did you use? Do you realize it added either calcium or more stabilizer ... which may or may not have been a good thing? What was your target FC level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I have ordered a recommended test kit I just haven't gotten it yet
    My pool installer recommended the chlorine bump. I will save anymore questions
    Until I get a proper test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, great that you ordered a kit, sorry if I missed that.

The chlorine bump was certainly the right idea ... although the source of the chlorine may have been a problem and you should have used PoolMath to determine the appropriate amount of chlorine to add. Generally liquid chlorine / bleach is the best source of chlorine that does not have the side-effects of the others.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I should have my test kit in a day or two so I will post the
    Results after I figure out how to use it.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by DSdiver
    I should have my test kit in a day or two so I will post the
    Results after I figure out how to use it.

Excellent! That will put you on the right track for sure.

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem