Should I close yet? Or hold off?

May 13, 2013
Hey. I'm a first year BBB and TFP user here. Loving it! Saved lots of money and figured out my pool chemistry. Just want to say thanks again to the TFP crew and users.

Just got my pool all cleaned out today. Leaves are starting to fall. I've got an unusual situation so this should be a good post, otherwise I would have just read the other postings and figured it out.

Anyway, I've got everything put away(ladder/railings/toys/floats/chairs) and am ready to close. However the 10 day forecast says temps of 70's still. I'm in Illinois. My pool chemistry is good and I'm ready to add polyquat anytime. Now, should I go ahead and put the cover on loosely in order to prevent leaves from falling in? I could leave the plumbing in tact and run the pump and add chlorine until temps start getting cold. Then when the temps get cold enough loosen the cover to plugs in and truly close it.

The reason I ask is because this year I wanted to make an outdoor hockey rink in my yard. My intention was to wait until it got cold enough to pump to waste to my rink. That way I could use my pool water instead of just pumping it out.

Could I in theory just put the cover on like I said before and leave the pool open with the pump running 4-8 hrs a day while adding chlorine? Then when it becomes near freezing temps, pump to waste (to the rink) and close all the plumbing. Then tighten the cover?

Sorry, kind of confusing. But it's just me trying to save some $$$ and time/work!

I don't have to close it/put the cover on now. It would just make it much easier than digging leaves out before I truly close.

Makes sense to me it you want to reuse the water.

You will just want to be running the pump when the air temps get below freezing to prevent any freeze damage in the pipes / equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.